What Did I Do Wrong??

I posted a few days ago about the abundance of cardinals I had, and asked how to keep them happy.

I took the advice, and put a feeder out with sunflower seeds, as well as a hanging suet thing (Both on a Shephard's hook that was already there) Saturday night.

I haven't seen a cardinal since! What gives? Does it take a few days for them to realize the new things (feeder & suet basket) are safe? I'm so bummed out.

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• They'll be back. We made feeders over the holidays. It took about a week for the birds to feel safe feeding on them.
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 9:00 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• All the new activity & the new stuff may have scared them away for a bit. Birds are very sensitive to changes in their environment. Stay away from the area & let them calm down and they may come back soon.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Do you have cats near you?
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 8:32 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You probably didn't do anything wrong. Just wait, they will be back.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The birds probably won't feed with the squirrel feeding their. The changes in the area may have upset them and they may have moved on to an area with food already. Leave your bird feeders out and more birds will quickly find it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It usually takes a while for them to find a new feeder. Also, if you don't have the kind of feeder that will prevent thieving little squirrels from getting the food, you'll be feeding them instead of your pretty red birds. The only kind of feeder that we have found to work is the kind that will slide down and cover the food holes when the weight of a squirrel is on it. They sell them at Home Depot and at Lowe's for a pretty reasonable price.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 10:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No cats, but there is a stupid squirrel that I saw climbing the hook this morning! (Squirrels don't scare away birds, do they?) He's fat, thinking he's been around awhile.

Thank you ladies! I have my fingers crossed that they come back soon. I just saw one of the males, but he was in and out pretty quick. Maybe he was doing recon for the other birds? LOL
    Scuba

Comment by Scuba (original poster) at 9:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We used to have a squirrel that would eat the bird food. We would grease the pole that the feeder was on so that the squirrel couldn't climb it. he would just hang out underneath eating what the birds splashed out. The squirrel didn't bother most of the birds, but I didn't have cardinals, so they may be a timid breed.  Good luck!

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I love squirrels and birds. i put a feeder on the ground with unsalted peanut for the squirrels and then the feeders for the birds hung up. they didnt mind be near each other. Your birdie friends will come back. they just think the new feeders are little aliens or something. lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 5:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011