Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Women who I babysit for wants to tax me?

I have a neighbor who I help watch her child. He is 10. She is 60 (has custody of her grandson).

Anyhow, From the moment I've watched him after school for her, I've always told her "you dont have to pay me anything". She at first was giving me checks for $50 a week, then started giving me $35 a week, now down to $30. I don't care, since I've always told her she doesn't have to pay me. I take him on the bus in the morning, and then watch him for about 3-4 hours after school until she picks him up. (There is no set price I've given her).

Anyhow, if she wants to claim that she pays me...will I get taxed for it?

First of all, I read that she would have to have me fill out a tax form (she never did). I also read that I am considered an independant contractor (since there is no set sceduale and she asks me week by week). 3rd, I never ask for a certain amount.

4th--I already did my taxes (I work at home), and didn't put down that she pays me since it is not enough anyways. My husband said she never paid me enough anyways, and 2nd, we never ask her for a certain amount and never did charge she cant use me as a "employee" or whatever.

She also does not know my social security. And I dont plan on giving it to her anyways.

Anyhow...was just wondering...if she wants to try and claim me on her taxes, will this mess up my tax return? Will the IRS try to question me? Again, I always tell her EVERY WEEK--that she DOESNT have to pay me--so whatever she gives me--is her choice..(like a tip).

She is a friend by the way...was not a total stranger when she met the past, I have watched him for free anyways, since she has watched our daughter occasionally if we wanted to go out on a weekend night (very rare).

She is very nice, I just don't want to get into arguments with her trying to tax me--plus I already filed my taxes.

Any advice or input?

Thank you very much :)


Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (8)
  • Legally you are supposed to put down all income (even tips) but few do. She needs your information and all proof that she paid you to claim you as an employee. She also should be giving you checks or some kind of receipt so you can file also. I'd tell her that and let her know it isn't fair to you because she can't provide that. If she really wanted to do that she should have told you at the beginning of the year not at the end. I'd remind her that you didn't ask to be paid and f she insists on paying you, and filing it just give the money to her child to give back to her.

    Answer by itsmesteph11 at 8:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I don't think she's trying to take advantage of you, she's not asking for you to pay her back the money for taxes. But, without your personal informaiton she can't file any kind of paperwork. But, according to the government, even tips are taxable. It doesn't sound like she pays you enough to worry about, and if you give her long enough at the rate she's going you won't be paid anyway. If she brings it up again, I would tell her your taxes have been taken care of.

    Answer by scout_mom at 8:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • In order for her to claim you, she would need your SS and that would be the link to you and, yes, the IRS will consider this as income YOU received. If I was going to be considered as having made this extra income, FIRST I would want to have actually made the income and SECOND, I would want receipts. She's trying to take advantage of you.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • If you made over 600.00 she can give you a 1099.

    Answer by Anonymous at 8:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • i think shes just trying to get a tax credit from what she has given you for babysitting. but she really wouldnt get much if any cause she didnt pay you that much. but yes i would just tell her that your taxes have already been filed and without your info she cant do anything.

    Answer by laura970 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Thank you for all your comments and advice :)

    See, at first I would watch him after school (he comes home with my daughter). She is very sweet, but she is a friend, and my husband has told her we watch him as a friend and that she never has to give us anything (and as I said before- I said the same). Because she only gives us what she can even tho she does never have to. But she HAS given us mostly checks. (on occassion--cash). It is not that much when added up, but what might happen if she trys to get my info and I refuse? She does have proof since she wrote me checks. But I agree...if she never asks about taxing me (in the very beginning)---then that is not my fault..

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I agree with all these ladies. Moving forward I'd stop cashing those checks. Ask her if she insists on paying you that is has to be cash only... so there isn't a paper trail leading back to you. Then it makes it harder for her to pull any funny business.


    Answer by Crafty26 at 8:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • but what might happen if she trys to get my info and I refuse? <<-- I'd just tell her you are not comfortable giving out that info, with the possibility of identity theft if she ever misplaced the papers. She really needed to have you fill out the correct paperwork from the start if this was her intention. As another deterrent ask her if that is the case she needs to give you a W2, have you fill out an I9 form... tell her when she produces those forms you will fill in the rest of your info... chances are she won't take it any further at that point.


    Answer by Crafty26 at 8:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2011