Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My Husb. & son both seem depressed- I feel stuck in the middle

Both use sleep & avoidance to deal w/ their "mood". I have tried reasoning, suggested counseling for my son, etc. They're both about to take me down with them! How do you get 2 grown ups to shape up?! (Short of running away from home that is-lol)


Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

This question is closed.
Answers (5)
  • Awww...I sympathize with you.
    Getting men to deal with depression is MUCH more difficult to address than it is with woman because by nature women are more in-tune with their feelings.
    Men open up more (and talk more) by doing physical activites...that's they way they bond.
    But when you're depressed it's hard to want to do anything physical.
    But if you can get your husband to say take a walk with you or something physical like might be able to initiate a conversation to find out what is going on in his mind.
    It also sounds as if it could be seasonal depression considering that both your husband and your son are going through it at the same time.
    Good Luck Sweetie and if you need someone to talk to you can message me on here anytime.

    Answer by Missikat75 at 9:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • You cant force an adult to get help if they dont want it! YOU on the other hand can get counseling for yourself, to learn how to cope & deal with daily, with people such as your husband & son. DO NOT let their refusal to admit they need help & get it, bring you down. If you do, you arent being good to yourself. I know from where I speak; my husband was & still is the "King of Avoidance". His mindset is: "Ignore it, & it will go away". The damage this did to our marriage is irrepairable, because he would not admit he was suffering from depression & get help. FIVE years down the road he decides to finally go see a Dr. Dr puts him on an antidepressant. It worked, but I have lost all respect & love for him for putting us through this. I sought counseling during this period to deal with my anger towards him & that helped me immenesly, but it didn't make me love my husband again, because once the respect is gone, the rest goes too.

    Answer by RubyinPA at 9:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Take them to the DR for evaluation. Go to counseling if you need to.

    Answer by Librarylady60 at 9:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • could it be because it is winter? some people get into funks when it is winter time and are crabby and miserable and depressed?

    Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • make games activities and investigate whats going on .pray and talk to discover sadness

    Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011