Is it ok for kids to talk to people from other countries on Facebook?

My dd loves accents. We love to travel all over the east coast, so she wants to someday travel and backpack in Europe. She now has some young teen friends in Australia, London, etc. Do you think it's ok to talk to people from other cultures and so far away? I think its personally a great way to learn about other countries and cultures.

jade_Aidan

Asked by jade_Aidan at 9:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• yes, but always try to keep tabs on friends that she had online that she doesnt actually know in person to be on the safe side
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 9:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as you are monitoring the activity. Just because they say they are in a certain country and are a certain age doesn't mean that they are, KWIM? Learning about other cultures via the locals is a great opportunity as long as you are safe about it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No, I think that would open up a big can of worms. If it was an exchange student that they know, that would be fine. Way too much going on anymore right here in our own country.
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with it. I think more people need to think outside the box and learn about other countries and cultures. A teenager that has fb friends from other countries would learn about their cultures and societies which would help out in school too.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:18 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• well you seem to be monitoring her actions. i talked to kids in different countries. mostly because i was military brat. so all the friends i made would move to random places like turkey, or egypt, or german, or spain. i was from japan myself. so it's nice t
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• **dd clicked my laptop too early.

i was going to say. it's like the new way to pen pal i guess.
    r.e.l.s.m.o.m.

Answer by r.e.l.s.m.o.m. at 9:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as your are monitoring her acitivies. No problem.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 9:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When I was a kid I had an Australian pen pal. She had my address (gasp).
    I see nothing wrong with it, but I don't think she's going to learn much about European culture from FB. I think watching TV shows and reading books will teach her more.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011