Who do you think is the most effective president ever?

Can you briefly tell us why?

tootoobusy

Asked by tootoobusy at 9:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• "We should resolve now that the health of this nation is a national concern; that financial barriers in the way of attaining health shall be removed; that the health of all it's citizens deserves the help of all the nation."
    — Harry S. Truman

Carpy: It looks like Truman's views on healthcare are a lot closer to Obama's than they are to yours.
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 11:17 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Lincoln. Because he lead the country through the American Civil War and ended slavery.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 9:25 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Also Truman's polls when he left office where in the 20% area, but history has been much more fair to him.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Harry Truman, his toughness, principles and strategic vision. He did what he has to do and did not pay attention to what critics had to say. His quote "The buck stops here" is one of the best principles the president should rely on. He also gave us the Truman Doctrine, which stood right up until Reagan started pounding in the final nail on communism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 9:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Another great quote from President Truman:

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home--but not for housing. They are strong for labor--but they are stronger for restricting labor's rights. They favor minimum wage--the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all--but they won't spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine--for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing--but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing--so long as it doesn't spread to all the people. And they admire of Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
    — Harry S. Truman
    peggy572

Answer by peggy572 at 11:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Bill Clinton......
    zbee

Answer by zbee at 9:22 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That's hard to say. Some Presidents never would have accomplished what they did without a Republican controlled congress. If you count that, I'd say Clinton. If not, Reagan. He was very good at bringing the sides together. I don't know enough about the Presidents before my time to go back further.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That's hard to say. Some Presidents never would have accomplished what they did without a Republican controlled congress

and vice versa,,,

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 9:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would say either Lincoln, Washington or FDR, but it's hard to really compare them all. I also like JFK and Clinton, and believe they were pretty effective as well.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I forgot to answer your second part of the question. I will go ahead and pick Lincoln as the most effective of the ones I named above, and say it's because he kept the Union together in a time of crisis and division which led to a victory in the Civil War, and his actions led to the emancipation of slaves.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011