my 2 week old is eating more than 3 oz every 3 hours. is that ok?

he is eating like 4-5 oz every 3 hours sometimes more. i try not to feed him more but he just cries if i dont give him food and when i do he attacks the nipple like he is starving. is it possible to overfeed him?

saraelf

Asked by saraelf at 9:18 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you talked to his doctor?
    RiyahsMommy08

Answer by RiyahsMommy08 at 9:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I thought my 15 week old eats a lot because he eats 5oz every 2-3 hours but I think that as long as your baby is satisfied and not throwing it up all over the place afterwards than it should be fine. Bring it up at his next doctors appt. though to make sure he's not gaining too much weight. You've got to be going through a ton of formula tho!
    Anonymous

• he eats until he falls asleep or doesn't cry anymore. its just recently that he has been doing this.
    saraelf

Answer by saraelf at 9:28 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My cousins baby is 3mons and eats 8oz every hour, they took him to the doc, and told them to stat giving him ceareal and baby food, maybe you could put ceareal in your babys bottle, like every other one, to fill him up more. good luck.
    Jessica1991

Answer by Jessica1991 at 9:29 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• No, your baby isn't eating too much. Babies are all different, so take what I say lightly. But, my daughter eats a lot too. As I am a bit overweight, I was quite concerned that she was eating too much. I called the "FUSS" line at the hospital, AND talked to her Pediatritian about it. If they are hungry, feed them! If he isn't throwing up, he's ok. And babies gain 1-2 oz a day is what my Pedi told me. She's gaining just over an oz a day, so she's in the clear. Your doctor will know best. Oh, and she's eating at least 3 oz every 3hrs. I think your little guy is fine. But call your pedi in the morning. Asking a question won't hurt, and they have time for it. Even if they have to call you back!
    Lillysmomma1024

Answer by Lillysmomma1024 at 9:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My 3mth old drinks 6oz every 2-3 hrs. Talked to your doctor, ask what they suggest. Some babies have a hearty appetite than other babies.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My nephew done the same thing for a few weeks. It will slow down after that growthspurt.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 11:01 AM on Nov. 17, 2008