Please explain to me why I should be excited about this.

We have a projected budget deficit of more than 1 trillion dollars. Our legislators are proposing cuts that range from 50 billion to 150 billion dollars. How exactly is this going to help us solve our debt problem?

Is this how you handle your families budget? Your businesses budget?

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 9:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• It's not going to solve our debt problem but it makes them look as if they are doing something in legislature.
    Maybe getting other countries to finally pay us back for our help in their wars would help our deficit?!
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 9:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• cuts aren't the only answer.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 9:43 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yes it is actually, you have to start somewhere. Stop acting like this is it and they never plan on reducing anything else. There are some who want more. Up to 500 billion but that will never pass through the Democrat owned Senate.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't think anyone handles their own finances this way. We're not going to see the problem resolved until we start getting some politicians with common sense - good luck with that!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't think there are any quick solutions, or most especially any solutions at all that are going to please everyone. I know this isn't how we handle our budgets, but our budgets aren't tied up in other people's budgets or relying on other people's economies either.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 9:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Cutting any is a help. To discount cuts is to say why bother if you can't do it all.
    Why pay a bill at all if you can't pay it off.
    Ridiculous attitude.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Anon, is that how you handle your own finances...a little now and kick the rest down the road?

USR, cuts may not be the only option, but growing taxes won't help when so many are unemployed. My state is discovering the tax increases they implemented are killing new employment and many companies have left the state because of it. I have met the new tax challenge by decreasing my primary business. I am projecting a $150,000 decrease this year, which will put me in a lower tax bracket thus improving my personal bottom line. I have also decreased pay to compensate for the increase in workers comp & unemployment insurances...both doubled. Who pays the ultimate price for this....the middle class ladies working for me do. It almost makes me physically ill.
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• . We're not going to see the problem resolved until we start getting some politicians with common sense - good luck with that!

We're not likely to get politicians with common sense until we get an electorate with common sense. Look at all the people who still support Obama.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 10:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• tootoobusy, where did I say don't bother to do any at all? I am saying it is not enough! We are broke, there is no place to get a "raise" from and our credit cards are maxed out....we are going to have to make DEEP cuts. Personally, I would rather have my whole arm amputated at once instead of in pieces.............do it and get it over with!
    yourspecialkid

Comment by yourspecialkid (original poster) at 10:01 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Who told you to be excited?
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 10:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2011