Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

2 Bumps

My husband was charged with DUI,, need some advice! Esp. if you have experience with this!

UGG, my husband was arressted for DUI on Friday, he knows better than to drive after drinking, but anyway he made a poor choice and we now need to move on. The fines, and punishment seem pretty clear cut, this is his first offense, and it looks like he will lose his license for 30 days, and incur a hefty fine and have to take classes as well as random UA test. My question is do you think you really need to hire a lawyer? I cannot see spending $2,000 that we don't have,,,he thinks he must have one,,, I am not sure what they can really do for him,, he is guilty and he is willing to accept his punishment,, if you don't have a lawyer, do you call the prosecuting attorney? IDK I have never been through this and would like advice from someone who has or who has had a husband that has! Thanks!


Asked by kimigogo at 10:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

Level 37 (91,454 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (10)
  • no need for a lawyer unless he wants to fight the charges. If he is pleading guilty, and it's his first offense (especially if this is his first time ever being arrested), he wasnt a problem with the cops, they will be easy on him. I assume he was in jail all weekend? They will probably disregard more jail time (depends on extra charges), he will get probation, lose his license, community service and if there were other charges get fined. lucky he's losing his license for only 30 days! Most lose their license for a whole year but it depends on the judge and state. After he sees the judge he will meet with a probation officer and they will discuss when and where to meet every month

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • It is not necessary to hire an attorney. But, you can usually get a consultation for free. Sometimes they are able to get the charge reduced. This would be huge. It may be the case since it is his first charge. I would definitely pursue this. It also may be possible to get a public defender for free. Some public defenders are great others are a waste. But that is the case with a lot of professions.
    Good luck.
    I hope he learned his lesson.

    Answer by tootoobusy at 10:15 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I am glad to hear he was busted.

    Answer by zebbiebug at 10:16 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • No, I don't think he needs a lawyer if the case is as clear-cut as it sounds. He was drinking and driving, was pulled over and arrested. If there was no abuse by the police officers and nothing to argue about, then he should probably plead "no contest" or "nolo contendere" and take his punishment. I had a DUI many years ago, and it was pretty much the same thing. I pleaded nolo, did the appropriate punishments, and didn't drink and drive again. Best of luck to you all--I hope your DH has learned his lesson :)

    Answer by vicesix at 10:23 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • do not hire one..he is guilty either way. go ahead and go to the police department and ask where he will need to do community service if he is going to have any..(he may or may not)..but its best to get that out of the way because it will look like he cares. do the dui classes now..just try to get everything done already. lawyers are a waste of money

    Answer by shay1130 at 10:24 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • agree with shay
    find out what classes and services will be required and sign up for and do as much as possible before court
    will show court he means business to take care of fines, classes, services

    Answer by fiatpax at 10:36 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I do not think that I could honestly give a positive/comforting response... and not posting to bash! I just hope this is a huge wake up call and not a way to find it justifiable to make excuses for a person that drinks and drives. Drinking and driving is a huge pet peeve for me and I donot believe there is ever an excuse... not once does the person think of if they die and those they leave behind, much less the innocent people on the road they impact if they get into an accident. If you feel you might get into a situation you might have to drive... DO NOT DRINK (being sober isn't a crime), simple as that!

    Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • yes vicesix has good advice, pleading no contest/nolo will keep the charges at a minimum.

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Momma I agree, the sad thing was that he had planned on spending the night with his friend, they met at a bar, and had 2 or 3 beers, yes he made a really bad choice, he honestly didn't think he was buzzed, he blew a. .08, He knows that I feel the same way as you do, but I have to accept this and go on,, or else divorce him! I don't think that he will ever be as stupid again,, so I really just need to know where and what to do from here,, but trust me,, I don't take this lightly at all!

    Comment by kimigogo (original poster) at 11:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • oh and he will have to go to a dui class which is 3 days long, usually a weekend thing. once he "graduates" he will get 3 certificates. One they will keep, one is for the dept of transportation and PO. Once the suspension is over he will have to pay a reinstatement fee for his license. If he goes to work he can apply for a permit

    Answer by Owl_Feather at 11:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011