Does he HAVE to go 8-3?

My son may be starting preschool soon. My husband told me that most preschools go from 8 am to 3 pm five days a week. Does he have to attend that much? Can he go to Head Start maybe 2 days a week at most for 4 hours at a time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would call the center and find out what the hours are and check around to see what other places are available and their hours.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:19 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I've never heard of a preschool with such long hours. All the ones I know of near where I live are from 9-12 or 9-1, with a choice of 2, 3, or 4 days per week.
    Have you checked around at some different places?
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:26 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That's up to the preschool. You should call and ask them.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Way back when in the 70's, when I started kindergarden we had what was called Morning Garden and it was for kids that wern't quite ready for full-time school. We went from 8-Noon.
    Then we progressed to full time school schedule.
    Now days some Charter and Private schools are like that too.
    My son went to Three Rivers Waldorf school for his preschool years and he only went from 8-Noon...he did that until he was 5yo.
    Check out the Charter schools in your area...they are Free, so you don't have to worry about tuition or things like that.
    Missikat75

Answer by Missikat75 at 10:27 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I can't imagine a 1-2 yr. old attending that much unless mom was working. Mine went 3 hours 2 days a week at 3 and 3 hours 3 days a week at 4 before going off to full day kindergarten at 5. You will have to make some phone calls and find out what is available in your area.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 10:30 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• There should be more options than that. My son goes to head start, and they do require 5 days, but only half days. There's other places that offer 2 or 3 days a week too. The only reason my son's not in one of those is I can't afford it but still what him to get some interaction with other kids.
    montanagal2005

Answer by montanagal2005 at 10:34 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'd look into one that is only 2-3 hours every other day. I'd also wait until he is 3 to send him. That is the rule around here. They have to b 3 by the beginning of august and can't start halfway through the year.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Okay - it is a school sponsored preschool OR a private preschool sponsored through a church?
    Most church preschools - for the 2 yr old set are 2 days a week from 9-12. 3 yr old goes 3 days a week from 9-12 and the 4 yr old group goes 5 days a week 9-12. Those that are ready for kindergarten at age 5 - if their state goes full days its 5 days a week from 8-3.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 10:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Check your school district office, not the schools... they can tell you which school are half days, which are full days.. and keep in mind not too many people qualify for head start and state funded (2 different kinds, but preschool is not free)... we didn't qualify, and I didn't see the point paying a public school what I would a daycare for the same services!!! Oh, and I don't do in home daycare, much be a center, with more staffing and structure
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 10:49 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My kids went to a private preschool 2 - 5 days/week from 9:30-1:30. That's pretty standard around here for preschools, but I don't know about Head Start.

Answer by missanc at 10:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011