What do you think about Detroit now?

I didn't watch the Superbowl but the high five state is all a buzz with talk of the Chrysler & Eminem ad.

Here, it's mostly chest thumping as we Detroiters are proud, proud folks (myself included).

I suspect, however, the rest of the nation wasn't as moved by the ad... Am I right?

http://www.annarbor.com/business-review/eminem-chrysler-super-bowl-detroit-commercial-rick-snyder-michigan-ann-arbor/

UpSheRises

Asked by UpSheRises at 10:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• you're right, i wasn't moved by it. if things turn around for any city 'in crisis', awesome! but the commercial did nothing for me. other than remind me Eminem is still alive and kicking.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 10:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am also from Michigan (ann arbor) and thought that it might open the eyes or some peopel who may not "know" everything Detroit is about! I liked it alot!
    Mom2Brock

Answer by Mom2Brock at 10:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It was the best ad during the Superbowl.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 10:38 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I wasn't. I can see how people from there would be though.

A commercial for a Texas grocery chain played here and it seemed more like it was a commercial for the Texas Tourism board than for a grocery store.  I got a good laugh about it though. 

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 10:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Are you talking about the HEB commercial? UGH!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 10:56 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The best car commercial, IMO was the VW Beetle commercial. The Chrysler/emimem was too serious for SUPERBOWL... But when Chrysler and GM commercials came on a few at our party would yell~ "our tax dollars at work". I think the image of chrysler and GM has been tainted by their bailout. JMO.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:11 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As for Detroit.... It has been on the downward spiral for at least a decade. Poor governing and union dominance did Detroit "in". JMO. It will take more than emimem to bring it back.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

Answer by grlygrlz2

Apparently you've never heard of white flight or the '67 riots...Unions have nothing to do with the problems in Detroit. Have you seen pictures of the city lately? Yeah...no union did any of that. They have no tax base, sky high crime, high unemployment...the list could go on for days...

UpSheRises

Comment by UpSheRises (original poster) at 11:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have bad associations with Eminem. The imagery in the commercial was good, the rhythm and the build up was good, and then, there he was and I was like, oh, HIM.

I'm sure, if you are from there, it's very moving, and that area needs some encouragement, you know?
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:29 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Sorry, boooring. I do hope the new Governor can help get that state straightened out without to much guff from the audience. It's not going to be pretty
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011