how can you tell if its a contraction or baby moving?

so i know lot of people say they start getting light contractions at arouind 28 weeks well i am there and my baby moves alot and some times its like she is in a ball and then just punches out her legs and arms all at once.. is she doing that or is it a contraction? its like my whole belly gets tight for a few second, it doesnt hurt.. also some times i get a tight feeling way up inside where i am assuming my cervix is. is that normal? i have had those once a couple days for a few weeks now.. whats that?

melis1029

Asked by melis1029 at 9:35 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• i don't know, I get that a lot. I posted a similar question and got a bunch of crap answers. I'll look later to see you if have better luck from people.
    charisma10

Answer by charisma10 at 10:20 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Are you sure the tightening you say you get when your baby moves isn't his/her butt moving across your belly? I can literally watch my daughter's butt press out and roll across my stomach.

Basically, a contraction will hurt. Braxton hicks contractions will just be tightening...your whole belly, and then let go.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 10:23 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Anonymous.......I think that is kind of the whole idea of cafemom, is it not? We're all here to share advice and ideas with each other.
    maxandrubysmama

Answer by maxandrubysmama at 10:46 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Unless your dr has personally experienced contractions they dont know the difference (one reason I only go with female OBs.) Contractions typically start at the top of your uterus and move it's way down. Also you'll find it encompasses the entire belly, versus baby moving might only effect half your stomach. Dont worry about it being a contraction unless they start a pattern and get stronger.
    legalmom343

Answer by legalmom343 at 11:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• You may want to ask your Doctor. At that time its hard to tell. I do know, your stomache hardens up and then lets go, you can always tell. Usually they say after a contraction the baby tends to move more.
    PinkRose282

Answer by PinkRose282 at 11:27 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It will hurt. It could be braxton hicks or your baby just rolling into a ball. Also if you walk around and it goes away, it's not contractions. However if it gets worse, it's contractions.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 1:17 AM on Nov. 17, 2008