Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WWYD? New job, new state, joint custody...advice needed.

My husband may get a position 2 states away from where we live. More money, great city, wonderful opportunity. The problem: I share joint custody of my 9 yr old with my ex husband. I would NOT want to leave my son here, I'd want to take him. My ex would not want me to take him, he'd want to keep him. I'd offer him summer vacations and any other long holidays but I just don't think he'll go for it.
So I guess I'd be forced to live here and see my own husband during the summer. WWYD?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 11:06 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

Answers (6)
  • Yep. Have you asked your ex yet?
    And if I were your DH, I wouldn't leave my wife and my stepchild just for more money. If you could go that would be one thing, but since you can't, you both will need to consider other options.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 11:09 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Dont stay behind. That could be the demise to your marriage in so many ways. You may need to go to court and change the custody order. Parents having to move to where the jobs are is common fact of life, especially now a days. This can be worked out. Be fair, do your best for all involved - including your marriage.

    Answer by Onemoretime2 at 11:28 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I couldn't leave my child.

    Answer by zebbiebug at 11:33 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Have you even talked this over with your ex?? You'll probably have to go to court to change your custody agreement, but everything can be worked out.

    The worst thing you could do for your current marriage is to be separated from your husband for so long.

    Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • honestly i think for me i would work it out though the courts and change the custody arangments, i am sure the courts could come up with something that would work for everyone....but dont stay behind with out your husband....

    Answer by cara124 at 12:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • you would probably need to talk with ex and go to court draw up paperwork if your paperwork currently says you cannot leave said state. to get it changed.

    Answer by brieri at 8:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.