When should I take the sippy cup away from my 2 1/2 year? Should I start now or wait a while?

mum1

Asked by mum1 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start now. Your child should be co-ordinated enough to drink from a cup.
    Anonymous

• WAIT AWHILE HE/SHE WILL PROBABLEY TAKE THEIR SELF OFF, GO EASY ON THEM MOM HE'S STILL A BABY KINDA, HONESTLY YOU'LL KNOW WHEN IT'S TIME
    mommy1186

Answer by mommy1186 at 10:06 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• we got my 2 1/2 year old a cup with built in straw, I got it at the grocery store. it's so he can practice at dinner. it doesn't have a lit or anything, the straw is just built right into the side of the cup. I think it was like $0.50 or $1.

http://www.babylove.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/FED-00263_TN.jpg

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:08 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I'd start now. Max is 14 months and only uses straw cups, if that. He does pretty well....surprisingly!
    maxandrubysmama

Answer by maxandrubysmama at 10:36 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We use both. she most often prefers a cup over a sippy though. she is 26 months old, and we have a sippy for the car or the mall or what have you. At home its a cup or she loves those water bottles that have the twist tops. shes great at drinking from a cup. I dont think you should wait, get him started on using a cup. He/she will probably like it!
    nicholelpb

Answer by nicholelpb at 11:33 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• He's old enough to start drinking from an open cup.
    Should you take the sippy's away? That's up to you and how much tolerance you have for stains and spills. I limit my daughter to water in an open cup and keep the volume low.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:45 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I work at a daycare and once they turn two they no longer get a sippy cup. My son is 23 months and we have been working on it at home. He does pretty well. I was quite suprised.
    JamieLK

Answer by JamieLK at 12:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2008