Agree with Cheney's assessment of Mubarak and the Egypt situation?

Former U.S. Vice President Dick Cheney praised Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak
on Saturday as "a good man" and a strong friend of the United States, but said the Egyptian people will decide his fate as leader.

"He's been a good man, he's been a good friend and ally to the United States, and we need to remember that," Cheney said during a question-and-answer session at a tribute to former U.S. President Ronald Reagan.

"In the end whatever comes next is going to be decided by the Egyptian people," he said. The United States has urged long-time ally Egypt to immediately begin an orderly transition to democracy after days of massive street protests to end Mubarak's 30-year rule.

U.S. President Barack Obama said on Friday the era of suppressing political dissent in Egypt was over and he hoped Mubarak would make "the right decision."

Cheney, a frequent critic of Obama, offered no opinions on Obama's handling of the crisis but said it was important to conduct diplomacy in private.

http://www.haaretz.com/news/international/former-u-s-vice-president-cheney-mubarak-is-a-good-man-1.341546

"It is very hard for some foreign leader to act on U.S. advice in a visible way," he said.

Cheney was U.S. defense secretary in 1990 when Iraq invaded Kuwait. He said Mubarak was a vital contributor to the military response against Iraq, granting overflight rights to U.S. planes and contributing troops to the war effort.

He declined to make a prediction about Mubarak's future.

"I don't know. But I also think there comes a time for everybody when it's time to hang it up and move on," he said."You get to the point where the years add up, the burdens become tougher to deal with. But as I say, that's a decision that only the Egyptians can make."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 11:31 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I agree with his opinion that it's up to the people of Egypt and that there is a time, place and season for everything. Your perspective probably changes a bit when you find yourself on the heart transplant list. IDNA with his assessment of HM-

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:37 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Hellz no. I like that the US is pushing for democracy in Egypt. The people there say it all. How can Cheney say that when these people don't even have the right to vote him out of office?

The egyptians have put up with a lot, if anything there is going to change for the better, it's going to change now. They should not "move on", that would be a huge mistake & they know it. The president there keeps saying it will end up iin the hands of the brotherhood, but there is a lot of speculation that is bull shit & being used as a scare tactic.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree with the part about it being up to the Egyptian people. I do hope they end up with a Democracy and not something worse than they already have. I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with the other parts of his statements though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:50 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Seems fitting that Dick Cheney would refer to him as a good man.....consider the source...
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:54 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Exactly where did he say the people did not have the right to vote Mubarak out?  This is what I read. "In the end whatever comes next is going to be decided by the Egyptian people.  Stop saying things that are not true.

I do think he had it mostly right. Mubarak is not a perfect man but he is not a murderer like some leaders. Egypt and Mubarak are U.S. Allies and though I don't agree with revolting in the way the Egyptians are  but the people do deserve to be taken seriously and changes need to be made. If Mubarak won't make those changes then he does need to go.  I just hope they do it sensibly and don't end up worse for the wear.

itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 11:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Mubarak is not a perfect man but he is not a murderer like some leaders

He's not?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 11:59 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree to an extent however I do not believe they will get a democracy.

History points in that direction

Quoting sweet--Its not an excuse, its history and its the best indicator as to what can and will happen.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

•  

I agree to an extent however I do not believe they will get a democracy.

History points in that direction

What the people of Egypt get could possibly go awry...however the people have a right to decide, correct?

sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What the people of Egypt get could possibly go awry...however the people have a right to decide, correct?

So you admit--finally--that it could go awry.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

I never denid it. Now will YOU admit that THE PEOPLE deserve a say in what kind of government they get?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 12:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011