Car seat behavior issues!

My 1 year old and I were taking the dogs to the park one day and as I was putting him into his car seat he flipped over and stood up in the car seat to see the dogs. Now almost every time I put him in the car seat he does this same thing... I try to buckle him in fast but he flips and starts screaming until he stands up in his seat and checks everything out... if don't let him look for at least 5 minutes he Freaks out and as I feel like I am strapping him into an electric chair that's how bad he reacts.... anyone else had this happen??? My son is a happy sweet boy so this behavior is so new to me... I guess welcome to toddler years I guess right?

Deanna2426

Asked by Deanna2426 at 11:35 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just try to plan this into my schedule and give him a little room. He's probably just excited and checking that "everything is okay." You can also tell him that it's time to go and that he can look a minute (count it outloud) and then say it's time to strap in and go bye-bye, and follow through. He'll begin to see a pattern and understand how it goes.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 11:39 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I completely agree with the above but would add a timer to your car. The old fashioned ticking kind - set it for 3 minutes for a while, then for 2 minutes, then down to 1 minute. and go from there. Good luck!
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2011