Catholics are not Christian?

Where does the idea that Catholics are not Christian come from? I never knew that people believed Catholics were not Christian until I came on Cafemom. It is ignorance, other Christians churches teachings, personal beliefs, what your mom taught you?
I know that Catholics are Christian, I'm just wondering why people think they are not.

tobys.mommy

Asked by tobys.mommy at 11:42 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I'm guessing ignorance.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:45 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• wow!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:47 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't know, but maybe because people in general call them "Catholics" instead of "Christians" even though Christian is a broad term describing all the different divisions of Christianity. This is totally a guess. I didn't realize anyone didn't know that Catholics weren't Christians, either until I joined CM.
    mommy_jules

Answer by mommy_jules at 11:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have always known that Catholics are Christian. The original form of Christianity in fact. Maybe my mom actually did teach me something (aside from not mixing hard alcohol and wine.)
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't get it either. Like saying, that's not a doberman, that's a dog.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 11:53 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Definitely don't know where people get the ida and I definitely get tired of correcting people on it. I'm not even Catholic and I still know they are Christians.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The definition of "Christian" is the problem. Christians are those who believe that Jesus Christ was the only begotten Son of God, that He was born of a virgin, died on a cross, and was resurrected on the third day and now sits at the right hand of God the Father interceding for those who are His followers. Christians are those who have put their faith in Christ's death as penalty for their own sins and who are allowing their lives to be controlled by Him through the power of His Holy Spirit. Some Catholics believe this, but not all do. Sad to say, but not all who claim to be Christians of other denominations believe it either. That being said, many are of the opinion that Catholics put their faith in the mother of Jesus rather than in Jesus Himself. The bottom line is there is a lack of understanding and therefore a breakdown in communication.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 11:57 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• – collapse
    The reason this comes up is because not all Catholics are Christians.. meaning not all have asked the Lord to be their Lord and Savior. Many were raised catholic and in the traditions of Catholicism. It is the same thing with ALL denominations! Also the Roman Catholic Church has allowed the Pope to be worshiped and that is putting the Pope before God which is spoken against in the bible. Some Catholics put Mary the Mother of Jesus before God as well. It all boils down to the condition of the heart. Not all Catholics follow Jesus but play lips service. This doesn't mean there aren't Christian Catholics. There are but you have to understand that there aren't as well. A Christian means Follower of the Anointed One. Christ means Anointed.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 (hidden) + expand

• Shane It's those kind of comments that keep the falsehoods going. The church has NEVERED allowed the Pope to be even on the same plain as God. there is not a Catholic anywhere that's puts Mary Above God. To be Christian you have to believe in the Triune God. These falsehoods come about from other Denominations that will do whatever they can to prove that they are the only church with all the truths. It's a feel good thing. Don't forget I've been through just about all the other churches and studied them.

oldermomof5

Answer by oldermomof5 at 12:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Not all Catholics are Christian, but neither are all people that call themselves Baptists, Presbyterians, etc. My big "thing" with it is that in order to be member of my church (Southern Baptist), you have to claim to have been saved and be a Christian. In order to be a member of the Catholic church, all my ex had to do was be born to someone who went there and he went with them. He never had to ask Jesus to be his Savior, never become a Christian, before he became a member of the church.

Answer by missanc at 1:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011