the hospital we are going to doesn't allow the couch in the room when you get an epidural what if you don't want them to leave does the hospital have to follow your wishes? Please read.

ok so I have 2 kids 3 years and almost 6 years and I am pregnant again (14 weeks tomorrow). Well the thing is with my second baby I went to a diffrent hospital than I am going to this time and they would ask the couch to step out of the room when they would do the epidural. So my hubby did and last time I didn't know it was a student, but they let a student do my epidural so I ended up leaking spinal fluid and had 2 blood patches done from it and to this day I get every day headaches from this it has been 3 years now. So I decided to go to another hospital this time and they have the couch leave the room as well. The thing is I am going to try to not get anything stuck in my back this time because of what happened last time (I was in so much much pain for weeks after and trying to take care of a newborn and a 2.5 year old). But the thing is I don't do pain well at all so I might end up getting the epidural if I can't take it anymore so my question is. If I tell them that I had problems before and that I don't want my hubby to leave the room when I have the epidural do they have to follow my wishes or can they still ask him to leave? I want him in the room at all times this time.

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 11:46 AM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• The coach?
    I'd write out a birth plan and give it to your ob. And make sure you express how important it is to you to have hubby in there. They should have to abide by your wishes.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 11:48 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think all hospitals ask the couch to leave the room and I know did with all three of my girls. Ask before hand if student or not before have done, Let this hospial know what happened before and might work with you to put your mind at easy. But your couch would not know if they did it right or not either. Just be open with them and since they want a safe delivery for you and your child they might work with you with really are scared.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 11:51 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They do have to abide by what u want. As for the screw up with your back!!! Whenever I go into the hospital I always say I want a real doctor not a student! I would have sued the hospital for pain and suffering. U might want to check what the statue of limitations is,I would sue!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I had to have my coach leave all 3 times.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 11:55 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• momindiana

I know he wouldn't but I want him in there with me because I am scared to death to get an epidural now.

dancer

I did try to sue the hospital, but after everything I went threw to get an atternoy and all that stuff almost a year of fighting when it was finally brought to court it was let go because I had no witnesses that it was messed up and that a student done it. The hospital said it was a certified nurse and that it wasn't a girl it was a guy and I know what I saw and heard they told me later that she was a student and messed it up and I seen her it was deff. a girl not a guy, but I had no proof so I couldn't sue go threw with it.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 11:58 AM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Just don't get the epidural, they can give you IV pain killers that will help with pain management.

As for the COACH having to leave the room, this is common for many procedures in hospitals.

twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Just because you wish to have it differently the hospital does not have to abide by your wishes. They have their own protocol. Coachs are asked to leave the room because it is a sterile field procedure, not because someone is trying to hide something. It doesn't have to be a student to mess up a delicate procedure like an epidural. Anytime you dance around the spinal cord it is dangerous. Many women take it as a no biggie. It is a biggie, it is huge. Explain to the Dr. well in advance your concerns and the issues from last time. They may refuse to do an epidural because of the history.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It is YOUR birth! Not theirs! If you need your support person there then there is no reason why they should be asked to leave. I wouldn't accept that as an answer from any doctor. There is no reason why placing a needle needs to be done without your spouse. I can understand if the doctor asks your support person to not touch you during the procedure in case they accidentally move you or cause you to move in a way that would mess up the procedure. But I think that you are being set up to be emotionally vulnerable during a time when you need emotional support and your doctor should be made aware of that.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Make sure that there is a doctor not a student doing it this time!!!
    shanapiv

Answer by shanapiv at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Different hospitals have different regulations. I never had an issue with my hub being present when I got my epidural with both kids. Infact with my daughter, I not only had my hub in the room, but my 2 best friends as well.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011