How can I cash a personal check when I don't have a bank account?

My bff sent me a check. She lives on an island in Africa so there is no way I can call her and ask her. I don't have a bank account. I owe my last bank $100 from over 6 months ago. So I don't think I can even get a bank account anywhere til I pay them off and I assume that went to collections.. please correct me if I'm wrong. The bank she uses is a military bank in TX, I'm in KS, and there is not one around here anyway so there's no way I can go there. Could I sign it over to someone and have them cash it for me??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• you might use one of the check cashing places (they charge like 2% of the check)
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 12:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It's not from another country. She lives in another country but her bank is in the US. She has a MO address for herself on the check (her moms) but there isn't a bank there. I can only find one in TX which is where she use to live.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You can go into ANY bank and cash a check with the proper identification - they will just charge you a few dollars to do so.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 12:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• DO you have a family member or a friend with a bank account that you trust to deposit the check into thier account and wait for it to clear and then you give you the money?
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Wallmart will cash them for $3. You could also cash it at the bank (or branch of) it was written on. You don't have to have an account there.
    I don't know where you live but there are check cashing places all over where I am. They charge
    but if you don't have an account that's how it is.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 12:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Walmart will not cash a perosnal check! They cash govt checks or payroll....you should be able to take it to any bank and pay like 5 bucks to cash it, or sign it over....is it FSNB that she banks with? I know thats a military bank in texas...but good luck with this...any where you go will charge you a fee though so be ready for that!

And I could open a bank account elsewhere when I owed another bank a fee!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• NOT all banks cash checks! Some require that either you are a customer, or that you have a check from one of their customers. You can sign the check over to someone to cash for you.
    Luvnlife4

Answer by Luvnlife4 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011