Anybody reported welfare fraud and had to testify?

I gave my name and number but now I'm scared...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• You could call them and ask. I've never heard of people having to testify about welfare fraud. I'm not saying it never happens- but I think the more likely scenario is that you tell the welfare office that so and so is making money under the table (or whatever the case is) and then the welfare office investigates it to see if they can find any proof of that.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 4:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't really know anything about how this works - but if their is fraud then you did the right thing! I think Erica above is probably right.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Unless you turned in a relative of some high powered mafia person I wouldn't worry. Even if you do have to testify there's not much of a chance they will do anything. So unless you were lying when you reported it I wouldn't worry.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No there is no testify thing you have to do....I did but stayed anon...even if you say your info they might call you and ask questions but they will not tell the person you turned in your info....
    Mrs.Norris

Answer by Mrs.Norris at 2:21 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

• As in a court of law its the preponderance of evidence that incriminates people. They will investigate what you have told them and from there they will get official records and such which is much stronger then word of mouth.
    f.r.e.

Answer by f.r.e. at 4:24 AM on Feb. 9, 2011