not walking

My daughter who has just turned a year old refuses to walk on her own she'll puch her 4 wheeler around and her babys stroller around, and she'll stand up all by herself but as soon as shes standing alone and you call to her she gets on her knees and starts to crawl..now she was 7 weeks could that have anything to do with her not wanting to walk

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She's only a year old, it's too soon to worry about it. It sounds like she's on her way to walking. It will happen soon.

pugpin

Answer by pugpin at 10:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• well, my daughter didn't start walking till she was 2 , but it was due to developmental delays because of prematurity. we consulted the doctor who referred us to a program where we worked with a developmental delay therapist that worked with her. I don't know your whole situation but she could just be a little behind and will take her a little longer, maybe she is not confident enough to have a go at it. All kids do things at different times. I say give her a little more time.
    sylvia-ann

Answer by sylvia-ann at 10:09 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• you know what, my daughter did the same things. She didn't walk unassisted until about 14 months old. But the funny thing was, it was like she was waiting until she could do it right. She didn't do the normal take a few steps and fall thing, she just took off around the house one day.

maybe your daughter is gonna be the same way...not do it until she can do it well kind of attitude :)
    Anonymous

• dont worry about it my oldest didnt walk til he was 18 months..she'll do it when she is ready
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 10:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My DS didn't walk until he was 16 months old. They will do it when they are ready. If she isn't walking by the time she is 18 months then you should see a doctor.
    Anonymous

• Don't worry! They say kids that crawl longer usually end up developing better fine motor skills. :) No need to worry until 15 months at the VERY earliest. And being 7 weeks premature could definitely have an impact.
    maxandrubysmama

Answer by maxandrubysmama at 10:48 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• My middle DD walked at 8 mos and I tore all the hair out of my head and cursed my next one vowing not to teach her to walk or talk.....as fate would have it, the next one didn't walk till 21 mos....she COULD walk but WOULDn't. Don't worry about it - she will when she is ready!!

Remember: We spend 2 yrs teaching our children to walk and talk and the rest of their lives trying to get them to sit down and shush up!!!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• Both of my boys were over a yr old when they started walking, about 13 months I think for both. I wouldn't worry too much at this point!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008