Were our parents really that wrong?

After looking at so many shows that depict these sassy, disrespectful kids who have no respect for adults and expect to be able to do whatever they want, when ever they want to do it. My question is were our parents really so wrong when they taught us manners, to be respectful and to say yes mame and no mame? The ones who gave us curfews and told us the ramifications of doing drugs and having sex too early?

sondaughter312

Asked by sondaughter312 at 12:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I didnt know parents didnt do that today? I know I do.

Answer by gemgem at 12:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No! They were not wrong! It is that parents don't care if their kids respect adults or not!! I think it is terrible the way some kids r today!!! Not all parents r like their wild kids. But I saw some of the parents of these troublemaking kids and they r exactly like their kids!!! OMG!!!! I told them u don't ever talk to me like that!!! I just love when I have to act like a bouncer and kick those kids out for things like throwing food and being rude!!!! I need a raise to handle these jerks!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I teach my kids to respect their elders, and to say please thank you among other things. That's what a proper parent *should* do.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No parents like that aren't wrong, but the ones who took to beating their kids are wrong.
    idaspida

Answer by idaspida at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• message me I'll tell u alot more!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• lol i dont think they were wrong at all. i've ALWAYS yes ma'amed and no ma'amed for everything, and the please and thank you. i've even taught my less mannerful (not really a word) friends that if they wanted something from me they had to use manners lol. and go figure, it worked. i taught my husband too, and my 2 year old has better manners than most adults i know. we need to bring back respect!
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• no, they weren't wrong. there is an abundance of poor parenting, has been for decades. i call it 'free' parenting..if you (the parent) allow your child to freely parent themselves, you are free of the responsibility of parenting. (to put it mildly)
    it sounds nice to say 'i allow my child to make decisions for himself, to learn from his own mistakes, blahblahblah..'..but then you get those kids who didn't learn, and are used to being catered to on their every whim because a parent doesn't want to 'lord over' their child, and you have a big ol' mess that turns into an adult-mess..who has learned nothing of discipline and obligations to others. complete selfishness.
    and we wonder where we went wrong....
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That kind of parenting is not wrong! It is as right as rain! And the rewards of doing the hard stuff are terrific!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Well, I teach my children manners and traditional values, but something about the ma'am and sir bit rubs me the wrong way, so I do not enforce or encourage that at all, and instead encourage Mr. or Ms. or Mrs. with a last name. I also insist that others do not call me ma'am. It really does bug me.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• @misses nick......I am from the south so perhaps ma'am, and sir are a southern thing. Just curious to know what bugs you about it so much. I think Mr. or Mrs. is fine too.
    sondaughter312

Comment by sondaughter312 (original poster) at 12:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011