Oh no...our deep freezer was cracked open all night..help?advice?

We have a stand up deep freezer that we keep out in the Mudroom. The mudroom is not heated and is just a little warmer than the outside temp (which is about 33 degrees right now).
When my dh left to go to work this morning, he noticed that the freezer was cracked opened.He closed it and then called me to have me check on it a couple hours later.
The suction is not working on it. The motor is still making a sound like its working. I unplugged for about 20 minutes and plugged it back in. To see if it will give it a kick start or something ..Idk.
We just went shoping yesturday and filled the freezer up!! OMG! We can't afford for all of that food to go to waste!
Anybody know anything about freezers? is there anything that you know of that I shuld do? Kick it? Smack it on the side? LOL...just kidding :) But really...any advice ? What should I do? Stuff in there seems to be still frozen so far.I don't want to keep openeing the door.
okay..I'm done...what can I do? lol
Thanks!!!! :)

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 12:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• that was a good idea! lol
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 5:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'd call a repair guy and ask if it's something simple you could fix on your own. Even if he had to come fix it, it would be cheaper than filling it back up again if your food goes bad

Answer by admckenzie at 12:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Get the gasket replaced. I believe that maintains the suction to keep the door shut. And I was always told that if the food is solid or icy it is still good. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree with ad above and see how much you can store in your regular freezer...
    CandyHorse

Answer by CandyHorse at 12:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thanks for the advice...I went ahead and just called a rent to own store and they are deliving a new freezer to our house in a couple hours...phew..what a load off my shoulders! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I would have used a heavy cord or bungee cord to keep door shut and remove it when I needed to get a supply out for the week. Then saved money to buy a new one or order a new gasket instead of the prices those rental stores charge. But replacing it to preserve your food is one way.
    f.r.e.

Answer by f.r.e. at 11:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011