How long after you quit smoking....

How long after you quit smoking does your lungs clear up? Also, what about smell and taste?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Health

• U will notice it because food and drink will taste better,and u won't be able to stand the smell of smoke or peoples clothes who do smoke!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Stop smoking, and within...

20 minutes: Blood pressure drops to normal; pulse rate drops to normal; body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal

8 hours: Carbon-monoxide blood level drops to normal; oxygen blood level increases to normal

24 hours: Chance of heart attack begins to decrease

48 hours: Nerve endings start to re-grow; ability to smell and taste is enhanced

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ½ to 3 months: Circulation improves; walking becomes easier; lung function increases up to 30%

3 to 9 months: Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease; cilia re-grow in lungs, increasing ability to "clean" lungs, reducing likelihood of infection; body's overall energy increases

1 year: Added risk of coronary heart disease is now half that of a smoker

5 years: Lung cancer death rate decreases by half

10 years: Lung cancer death rate equivalent to non-smoker; precancerous cells are replaced by healthy cells; risk of other cancers (mouth, throat, bladder) decreases

15 years: You are no more at risk of heart disease than if you never smoked!

emptynstr

• I was told a womens lungs will never clean themselves out,but that a mans lungs will. Some doctor told me that.
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 12:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I quite smoking 4 years ago this month. I was recently diagnosed with COPD. A lung test revealed that I have the lungs of a 74 year old. I was not a heavy smoker, nor consistent smoker.
    MrsDavid

Answer by MrsDavid at 3:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I quit 17+ years ago. It took a year before I didn't secretly want one anymore, and after that it was someone flipped a switch and I couldn't stand the thought of it, or the smell of it. I would never go back to it, I am so grossed out by smoking. I would say things tasted and smelled normally after maybe 6 months or so.
    bloomingsun

Answer by bloomingsun at 12:26 AM on Feb. 8, 2011