I'm going grocery shopping today, any tips on how to not spend so much?

I have a 120 dollar budget and feed a family of 3 and I am pregnant right now.

I love my canned foods, but what should I buy and what should I not buy?

I work so I spend so much more money! Because I am buying soups, and canned foods, and also I will buy hot pockets whatever is easy. But I know here soon I will be a Stay at home mom and will get way more for my budget with only home-cooked meals!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Food & Drink

• something that kept us fed when i was younger was buying a pack of chicken breasts (the ones with the bone in you get more for the money). make chicken, a pot of rice and if you want one can of mixed veggies. we'd use those round 2 cup ziploc containers and fill them up with some of each, and got dinner out of it too. that fed 3 adults (2 of which ate like horses.... my brother and i lol). pasta and meat go a long way in terms of easy cooking and leftovers too. ground turkey (or beef), a box of pasta and a can of sauce. good luck!
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Look to see if you can find online coupons for your favorite items. I personally like to get fresh foods and cook in bulk so we can reheat :D
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ~*List*~... we make one and try our best to stick to it! Stop and ask yourself if it is a "need" or a "want"
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• first .make a list and stick to it. see if your local store has a web site. I shop at Food Lion and I can pull up their sales paper and create a shopping list right on line and print from that. And only buy from the list. second. don't go to the store hungry your lest likely to buy spur of the moment items if your not thinking about food.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 12:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Write a meal plan.......plan your meals for the week and buy what you don't have in the house to make those meals. Make things from scratch....sorry but canned goods and hot pockets are JUNK and not healthy. If you buy canned veggies, at least get the no sodium added versions, but frozen is better and still affordable, if you don't want to buy fresh! If you like hot pockets you can buy pizza dough (or ingredients to make it) and make 5 times more of them for the same amount of money yourself with fresh ingredients and freeze them for the week.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• stick to just the bare neccessities,.
    gardenchic

Answer by gardenchic at 2:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I make a list, take coupons (but shop the best deals regardless of coupons), and always eat something before I go so I don't impulse buy.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yes, Take my husband with you...his penny pinching butt is a great saver at the store. lol
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I make a list and try to get only a few things that aren't on it. And I shop sales! I ALWAYS buy the cheaper brand (there are only a few exceptions to that one for me) and I always pay attention to BOGO sales, even if I don't need more than one.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 2:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Make a list
    Don't go hungry
    Leave the kids and hubby at home
    Look for less expensive easy items - hot pockets are pretty pricy - make your own hot ham & cheese (like a grilled cheese with lunch meat)
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 5:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011