Have you saved more money being a stay at home mom?

My job requires cell phones. Mine and my husbands is like 300 bucks a month! I am getting rid of mine soon! And going out to eat I spend probably 50 a month. Gas 120 a month sometimes 130 and othertimes 90. But I spend money on wear and tear on my car, money on grocerys. So basically I think I will save so much more money. I feel like I am working for money just to pay the babysitter and the stuff for work!

My job is demanding at all times. And I am so happy, blessed and honord to be a stay at home mom. :)

Not to mention I am soo tired, anemic, and I am never caught up on laundry or household cleaning!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Just for Fun

• not really..for me, the decision to be a sahm came after my dh bought into a business and upped his take-home. he now brings more by himself, than we did together (before his job-change). sure, we are saving more..just as we always did..but i still spend what i normally would've with my would-be 'paycheck'. lol.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 12:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• so you just left your job to be a stay at home mom? i think for us it's definitely cost effective for me to stay home
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No, but then I made pretty good money. But the payoff of being at home playing with my kids is greater and more important to me than the money. Sometimes I get frustrated about not having enough money to buy something and think if I were working, we could easily afford it. But I know that soon my kids will be grown and gone. I have plenty of time to work after that and buy the "luxury" things.

Answer by missanc at 12:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't think we save more, but we certainly aren't worse off than if I worked.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't even understand how many families make it with both parents working (often just minimum wage jobs) and having to pay for child care. That is a significant chunk of change. If I worked within my degree, having a job would only mean an extra $300 in the bank each month after childcare. It isn't worth it to me when I would bring home less than 1/2 of what I earned because of childcare costs. Fortunately, my husband earns really good money, and this isn't a struggle for us.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I went to college 3 different times, 4 different career paths... and never saw myself being a "Suzy HomeMaker" to be perfectly honest. But when we were suprised with our 5 year old, it made more sense for me to stay home than work to pay others raise our child? If that makes sense... And since we were actually saving money by me being home we went on to have our 3 year old!! And I wouldn't have him if things didn't work out the way they did!!!
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I stay home (my kids go to public school so I pretty much at this stage in their childhood, this is my 'time off'.

But my husband also stays home...So I'm sure my answer won't be very helpful to you... at least not in the money situation .. you see, I'm a disabled veteran and I collect social security for disability as well.

And my husband stays home for 2 reasons..

1. I get insecure at home by myself.
    2. There are no jobs.

But that being said... Being in the military for 7 years... I do enjoy being able to stay home and spend some quality time with my children.... So for me, it's beneficial in a bonding sense. But I'm sure you've noticed that as well.

As for being tired, even though my kids are in school, that is a common thing for me... as for laundry, my husband does the laundry. :)
    Randomosity2

Answer by Randomosity2 at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It makes more sense for me to stay home. After paying for 2 kids to be in daycare, gas in my car, plus work clothes, it makes way more sense to stay home. Daycare every week would be about 250 that's 500 out of a two week check, then my jeep eats gas, 60$ to fill her up and only 16mpg.... Lots of gas... Needless to say, unless I made what my dh can make, I'd be paying to work.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Personally I chose to be a SAHM because I would have been spending all the money I make on gas and daycare so why should I spend all that time away from my kids when I would virtually be making nothing at all.
    dragonqueen

Answer by dragonqueen at 12:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The cost of daycare, eating out more, extra gas and transportation expenses....cost of clothing for me for work....all added up to more than me staying home.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011