What is a good age for overnight visits?

So the thought of leaving my child with anyone over night scares the hell out of me. I figured right now is to young DS is only 3 months old. When is a good age to start doing overnights, or is it more of a when I am comfortable with type of thing?

Emilypit

Asked by Emilypit at 12:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think the younger the better. They sleep more and people can't screw it up when all the child does is sleep.

Answer by admckenzie at 12:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My son was 3 months old first time he had an overnight visit. Daughter was younger than that. Both times were with grandparents. Yea it was difficult but we all lived through it :)
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The answer might depend on when you need to leave him overnight. We kept some of our grandchildren overnight when they were quite young due to family illnesses and deaths. I think the best thing to do is to leave them for shorter periods of time with those who will be keeping them overnight so that the children are comfortable with their caretakers and vice versa. Our babies never missed a beat because Granddaddy and I had watched them for periods of shorter duration and knew the routines. We were comfortable with them and they with us, and the parents did not worry about the children. They missed them for sure though!! It is best to be prepared because we never know when an emergency can occur.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Whenever you are comfortable. The youngest my kids have spent the night with gparents was at 8 months. They never had an issue with sleeping over with either set - they love it! If you are breastfeeding, it isn't very convenient for them to sleep overnight at least until they are sleeping through the night, and even then you will be very full in the morning and need to pump. I could never sleep in anyway, because I was so uncomfortable around the time he nursed in the morning so it didn't make much sense for them to spend the night until after they stopped breastfeeding.

Answer by missanc at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• if it's with someone like your parents or family or anyone that will probably be taking care of your kid for years, then try it out for short periods of time. maybe go watch a late movie or something, just to get a feel for it. you dont HAVE to leave your kid anywhere till youre comfortable, there's no age you have to start at. i think it might benefit youboth a little later on so you're a little more used to it in case you do need to some day (in an emergency or something)
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It depends on what you are comfortable with, my DD was about 6 months and my DS was younger than that, I think, the first time they spent the night with grandma and they did fine but it was a long night for me. But they were used to her since she baby-sat them back when I was working so it wasn't too hard on them.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My twins are 3 1/2 years old and have only spent one night away from me, and that was only recently. They were at home with my husband while I was on a business trip. I'm not really ready to leave them with anyone else just yet. My older daughter stayed with my mom overnight for the first time when she was about 4. I think it does depend on when you are comfortable with it, and also if you have anyone you can trust to do it. If I hadn't lived near my mom I don't know when I would have let my daughter stay with anyone else overnight.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 1:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Never before age 2 in our family. My mom wouldn't want to deal with a frequent waking child and she doesn't have what they want when they wake anyway.

My first was a few months shy of 3 the first time he stayed overnight and we are *thinking* about doing one when the baby will be 26 months.

I could never leave an infant... I just wouldn't be okay with it and I hate pumping anyway.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It's definitely just when you and your baby are comfortable. There is no time limit on when or when not to do it.
    griggst

Answer by griggst at 2:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• it all depends on the kid. my cousin was 13 and still wouldnt. my daughter is and i cant do it. we tried with her grammy and when bedtime came she wanted to come home and so did i
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 2:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011