Food stamps and working?

So, I began my food stamp journey in December. Single momma, hungry children. I recently got a job back last month and I still get food stamps. Do they figure out I have the job or, do I tell them I have the job? I would hate to owe my state back for food stamps.

CandyHorse

Asked by CandyHorse at 12:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• It is sad in todays world when you can be unemployed and receive just about everything, and when you finally get a job to better yourself you lose the help. You deserve it more when you're working, you need it just as much.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• if you dont want to risk owing them anything i say inform them just to be sure oyu still qualify
    Mrs.L.Mita

Answer by Mrs.L.Mita at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You need to report the change.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ok good thing i am on the phone with them
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Here you have to tell them you have the job and bring in pay stubs or you will lose your food stamps. The rules are different in every state of course but you have to let them know about the job and they will tell you what to do from there.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What they said ^. I would report it to them. It's just better than dealing with it later.
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Depending on where you live, you're supposed to let your financial/case worker know you started a job. Don't let them find out otherwise you will have to pay them back. You will still be able to receive food stamps with a job, however if you make to much at your job they may end up closing your case. Just make sure you communicate with your financial/case worker.
    Lady1ce

Answer by Lady1ce at 12:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You have to tell them, they will probably adjust the amount.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When you were approved, did they tell you an amount you have to report if you go over? Like say..if your household monthly income isgoes over$1603.00..You must report change within 10 days. If your amount is over what they say you are allowed..yes you ahve to report and be reverified. But if its below that then you don't have to report it until your up for reverification. If you are unsure..give your case worker a call.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 12:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They gave me additional food stamps but, I told them I have a job and so she said that the amount I was just about to get is going to decrease again. well, better to struggle than to lie :)
    CandyHorse

Comment by CandyHorse (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011