Ok so is there a specific type of mucus that tells you when you are indeed ovulating?

tkjmuntz

Asked by tkjmuntz at 12:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• There is an ovulation test that works like the pregnancy test, you pee on the strip and it tells you when you are ovulating. Much easier than anything else.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 12:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yep, it's kind of snotty. My gyno says that when you pull your fingers apart (when you have this mucus on them) it will stay connected like raw egg whites. Thats how you know you are ovulating.

Other fluids down there don't behave that way.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 12:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yes. it's usually thin and watery. kind of looks like raw egg whites.
    MrsMWF

Answer by MrsMWF at 12:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It's called "egg white cervical mucus" (EWCM for short). It's exactly like egg whites in color and consistency, and there's a ton of it.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 12:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Not for me. Though I hear you look for something that resembles egg whites.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think the answer is technically no because you can have the eggwhite mucus on days you don't ovulate. I use the Creighton model for family planning and I track my fertility using the mucus. According to this model (I think others may do it differently) anything that is lubricative, stretches an inch, or is totally clear is considered "peak type" mucus. Supposedly the sperm can live in that stuff for days, and so it doesn't matter if you have sex on Tuesday and then ovulate on Thursday - you could still get pregnant if there was this good peak stuff going on...

Good luck.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011