when you had your baby did your doctor let this happen to you?

So I had my baby girl last year, but having her was kind of difficult. It went smoothly for the most part and I wouldn't have had it any other way. But after I had her, I found out that my doctor just let me "rip" instead of cutting like I've heard doctors are supposed to do. I was just wondering if this happened to anyone else?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 AM on Jul. 8, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ripped with my last one, but I had him in my van and there was no doctor present, but I had an episiotomy with all the others. They don't always "cut" you, and you may not necessarily rip. I think it's probably doctors/patients choice. If you have more kids, definitely talk to your OB before delivery about what you would like.
    Moomie

Answer by Moomie at 1:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I have heard that ripping naturally actually heals better and faster than cutting. On the down side, I'm sure it hurts more. I wouldn't know from personal experience since I had a c-cect. But my best bud ripped with one & was cut with another.
    Jesstsilly

Answer by Jesstsilly at 1:32 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• i agree most dont cut because you can heal better on ur own
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 1:50 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• its better to rip than cut. u heal back from it faster.
    kissmiss213

Answer by kissmiss213 at 2:16 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• It's much better to naturally tear than to get an episiotomy (cut). You can heal much faster. The only reason they give episiotomies is because it's easier for the doctor to stitch you back up than with a natural tear. I wish so much I had just torn, but I was so aloof in the moment that I told her to just do what she had to do to get my son OUT.
    MamaPyratekk

Answer by MamaPyratekk at 6:47 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• Probably just your doctor's preference. I had a 3rd degree tear (end to end..sorry for the TMI) and I told my doc that I didn't want an episiotomy because from everything I've read and heard from other women, it's a lot easier to heal from a tear than a cut.
    deeder79

Answer by deeder79 at 10:15 AM on Jul. 8, 2008

• I ripped with my first one and was cut with my second. I agree that you heal faster with ripping. my bleeding stopped within 2 days of my first delivery and it took almost a month with my second.
    Lizzie_Beth

Answer by Lizzie_Beth at 12:22 PM on Jul. 8, 2008