At what age will you give your boys "the talk"?

I gave my DD "the talk" when she was 10. Now my boys are 10 1/2 and I think they need to hear it, but my hubby thinks they're still too young. They are starting to notice things on T.V....kissing, etc. What do all you ladies think?

Debi73

Asked by Debi73 at 1:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• With my boys we never had just one talk. It was an ongoing conversation that began the first time they asked where babies come from. I answered exactly what they asked and no more. They asked more as they got older. By the time they were 10-11 they had all the info they needed. After that it was fine tuning.. More in depth talks about pregnancy, HIV, STD'd in general. My oldest was really flippant one day when he was 14. So, I pulled out a book from nursing school and showed him pricisely what an untreated STD can look like on his penis. That one day alone spoke volumes for years. In fact I overheard him telling his brother once. "If you're even thinking about it you better put a 'raincoat' on it"
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You can gear it toward what you think they are ready to hear- & even get a book or 2 from the library that helps w/ that issue. That's about the right age tho. I sub at diff. elem, Jr. Highs & High Schools- and let me tell you, they know more (or at least think they know more) than you think they do at that age. Giving them the facts is not the same as giving them permission. GL
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I believe a lot of children start inquiring and noticing a lot earlier then we as parents tend to realize. Therefore, I think it's important that we be honest and open with them from the beginning. About sex, about pregnancy, about everything that goes along with it. When it comes to them coming of age and starting to notice it more as they hit puberty then it's important to really dive into that. I think 10 is a great age for a boy or a girl. Especially because boys tend to be more sexually straight forward then girls are. If a child inquires earlier, then clearly you'd give them "The Talk" earlier, but 10 is a great starting age overall.

Be honest with them about everything. Encourage abstenence, but prepare them for what could and probably will end up happening if they do decide to have sex. Don't leave the subject vague, be honest, so they know what they're getting into.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 1:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I had the long talk with my son when he was 9. They do it at school in 5th grade and I wanted him to hear everything from me before he heard it at school. At 10 1/2 they are definitely not too young!

Answer by missanc at 1:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We have been having small talks since around age 7, when I got pregnant with his little brother. I think age 10 is time for good talk about respect for girls and a basic talk about the mechanics of sex.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 1:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Is the "talk" where babies come from? Or, about birth control and rape? The first talk should have been the first time they asked and reinforced as it comes up, 10 is way too old not to know about human reproduction. The second I gave my kids as they were entering high school.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• yeah, I would say its time. We don't have a set age, but our 6 almost 7 yr old knows what sex is, knows how babies are made, and has seen 3 live births. I personally feel that sex is a part of life, and that kids don't need to be kept in the dark till a specific age. As he asks, we answer.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have the initial talk (boy or girl) when mine turn 8 years old.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I haven't given my son the indepth talk yet. I will leave that to my hubby. But I did have to give him a talk about privacy and his sisters needing theirs. Plus he used to bathe with his younger sister but i had to explain to him why they each have to bathe seperately now. Here where I am located they give a sex ed class in 5th grade. Not so much about sex but more about their changing bodies. I always sign off on them taking it but I talk to them also.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 1:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• BTW my son is 7.
    True_Gator_77

Answer by True_Gator_77 at 1:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2011