IF MY DAUGHTER REFUSES TO EAT ANYTHING HEALTHY WHAT SHOULD I DO adult content

MY 21/2 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER REFUSES TO EAT ANYTHING HEALTHY AND IM CONSERNED ABOUT HER HEALTH WHAT SHOULD I DO AND IF I GET IT INTO HER MOUTH SHE HOLDS IT IN THEIR AND THEN SPITS IT OUT THNX .

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Kids' Health

• While I agree w/ the 1st 2 moms about the continued exposure to the healthy foods, you can "disguise" them w/ a little ketchup, sprinkle butter, parm. or melted cheese, ranch dressing, cinnamon, etc. In the meantime, make sure she is getting her vitamins, with a children's daily chewable & those Ensure or Pedisure vitamin shakes for kids.  She will outgrow this & part of it is the power struggle.  (Plz never insist that your child clean their plate.  If they are full, wrap it up, & save it for later.  I have also divided the foods into 2 piles & allowed them to choose which half they wanted to eat.)  GL   

mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Don't give her anything NOT healthy.....she'll eat soon enough
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Small children will not starve themselves. Pick how to win this battle wisely. Give her choices, so she feels like she has some control, but offer only healthy options. She eats, or she doesn't. No meal...no snack. It may take a day or two..but she will eat when she gets hungry enough. Somethings are just not an option. A 2 1/2 yr old only eating junk can't be an option if you want her to be healthy later on.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Only offer healthy foods.

Answer by missanc at 1:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Try to find the best of both worlds, healthy and yummy. A few idea's of things that my kids love: fruit chunks with nutella or vanilla yogurt, string cheese, veggie sticks with ranch dressing, crackers with cream cheese (I sometimes hide veggies in the cream cheese), wheat thins with avocado, quesadillas (corn or wheat tortilla with some melted cheese and chicken chunks), cheerio necklaces (string up some cheerios for her to wear and snack on), nutella on whole wheat toast, smoothies (pick whatever fruit you'd like, add yogurt and ice and blend, super yummy). Just a few idea's for you to try. I have a 5 year old who's a picky eater and these all go over well with her.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• only offer healthy foods. she will eat before she starves. At age 2 1/2, she has no choice but to eat what you give her or go hungry. When you say she will only eat unhealthy, that means when she refuses to eat what is healthy one way or another you cave and give her junk. She is two, of course she will prefer the taste of junk over fresh fruits and veggies. But at age 2 it should not be her choice. She should eat what you give her, and if she refuses, then that should be it, don't give in and give her something else.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• dont let her do anything untill she finishes her meal tht you pick. and if she dosent finish it then it gose i the fridge for later and he gets nothing else untill she finishs
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 1:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think disguising healthy foods serves a purpose, but only if it is not the single means for helping children LEARN to choose healthy foods. I agree with GrnEyedGrandma.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 1:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• oh, and don't try to force her. Put the food in front of her, if she refuses, then just set it aside till she asks for food, then give her the same plate. Eventally, she will eat it. She may not like it, but she will eat it. And try to spark her intrest when you go to the store, have her help you pick out and bag fresh veggies and fruit. She is old enough to help you in the kitchen. My toddlers get to mix and wash things, and they have begun learning how to crack eggs. Kids are usually more excited to eat something they helped prepare. Like pizza...we have pizza every friday... but its homemade, they help with the whole wheat dough (kneeding it), they help open the cans and add the spice to make the sauce, they help set out all the toppings, they roll out their own personal pizza and with me or dad watching they put their pizza together, and since we put out lots of veggie options, they have a healthy fun meal.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 1:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My kids can be picky eaters and what I do is sometimes I 'hide' foods (like mix stage 1 strained carrots into mac & cheese), or I offer the dipping sauce or cheese sauce with some of the foods. I also offer my kids choices (like do you want yoghurt or cottage cheese) sometimes they are more willing to eat if they choose what it is they eat. Instead of chocolate syrup or powder I would make their 'chocolate milk' with Carnation Instant Breakfast powder that way I knew they were getting some vitamins/minerals/nutrition. My kids also get kids vitamins every morning as well.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011