how can i stop this cough

I had a cold for 5 days typical! Then fine for 3. A sinus infection after that, my Dr. gave me zithromax a 3 day antibiotic safe for pregnancy. Yeah the day i finished it i have one hell of a cough, don't sleep, cant laugh, and cant talk any louder then library tone!!

LOSE2SAVE

Asked by LOSE2SAVE at 10:39 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Health

• I use honey or pancake syrup for a cough supressant - works great!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 10:43 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I am sorry for you. I would recommend sitting inside a shower for about 30 minutes to get the benefit from the steam. A humidifier would probably help too. Also, you might want to try putting some Vics Vapor Rub on your chest and possibly under your nose while you sleep.
    Goodthings

Answer by Goodthings at 10:52 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• It depends on what kind of cough it is...productive vs. nonproductive. My guess is you have a nonproductive cough which is common after a viral illnesses. After a cold, a dry cough may last several weeks longer than other symptoms and often gets worse at night. The best ways to treat a dry cough is to prevent dehydration. Fluids may help thin secretions and soothe an irritated throat. Dry, hacking coughs respond to honey in hot water, tea, or lemon juice. Elevate your head with extra pillows at night and use a humidifier. Try a cough drop to soothe an irritated throat. Most cough drops have no effect on the cough-producing mechanism. Look for suppressant medicines containing dextromethorphan, such as Robitussin-DM or Vicks Dry Hacking Cough. However, studies show that over-the-counter cough medicines do not work very well so you may want to ring your doctor and see what he/she suggests. hope you feel better.
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 11:44 PM on Nov. 16, 2008