Anyone have a cleaning schedule?

Okay, here it goes - The fact is that neither mine nor DH's family are good with housekeeping. Neither of us grew up with any kind of a routine as to what to do when. I am asking you ladies (and please no bashing each other) what you do? I work part time (3 days week) and would prefer to not spend my entire weekend cleaning. I can keep up with the "daily" stuff like laundry and dishes (this will be easier once we get a dishwasher).
So how often do you do things like mop your floors?
Dust?
Wash windows?
Clean the whole bathroom?
anything else I might have missed?
Please help, I need to get into a routine and I'm not sure where to start. The house usually looks okay, but I really want to keep it that way. thanks

NHRachel

Asked by NHRachel at 2:00 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Home & Garden

• i do a major cleaning 2x a month like dusting ,floors spot wash carpets. I do the bathroom and kitchen once a week b/c of germs and the other stuff day by day. All the laundry on sundays.(no one is perfect) do whats right for you
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 2:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• You can go to www.flylady.net to get some inspiration for your own schedule!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Hi NHRachel,
    I dont blame you as too not wanting to clean on weekends. Here is my schedule as I work three days a week too. On Mondays while my kids are at school, I drop them off and come home and do the floors every other week unless it is the carpet I try to vaccum once a day. I am a crazy person and I do not want to my house to smell. So as far as dusting, windows etc. I try to break it up among my 2 days off so I can spend the weekends with my family :)
    CnBsMomma

Answer by CnBsMomma at 2:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yes, I have a weekly schedule that fits my job + free time. I've noticed that breaking up tasks to smaller ones can be more fun.
    I.e. Ironing used to be a single day's task and I hated it. Now I iron max 1 hour per day, i.e. Office Shirts on Thursday, pants on Friday, others on Monday.

To have more fun, I watch a comedy or video /songs from Youtube etc and it's much more pleasant to clean the house.
    lillyblue111

Answer by lillyblue111 at 2:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't clean on Fridays and Saturdays to celebrate Jewish Sabbath.

Sunday nights I detail the kitchen, take apart the oven, take things off the counter, stainless steel clean the sink, etc.
    Monday is laundry day. We are a family of 6. I iron everyone's clothes. Enough said.
    Tuesday is bathrooms day. Detailing toliets and sinks, cleaning pictures and light bulbs, etc.
    Wednesdays are "extra"s days. Kid's bedrooms, sweeping porches and driveway, dusting blinds, organizing office papers, etc.
    Thursdays I detail the floors. Clean the carpets in all the rooms during the day and mop the floors at night when everyone is in bed.
    Many times, I miss the Thursday night floor mopping and end up doing it on Saturday nights instead.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 2:21 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• If its dirty it gets cleaned I dont have a schedule but my vacuum and steam mop have names since i usually pull them out twice a day!
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I certainly don't do everything every day. Luckily our apartment is damn near empty and my son doesn't live with me, so it doesn't really get messy. I vaccuum every couple of weeks as needed, I do laundry once a week, and I do other things (like the bathroom and things like that) when they start to look messy. I'm not a clean freak by any means! Dishes are the only thing I do every day.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't have a schedule either. I have to vacuum at least a couple of times a day. I do dog rescues and I do not want to go out being covered in hair. I live alone so I barely have any dishes. I do as i use them. I wash dog blankets 1 time a week and mine 1 time a week. i have no dryer hooked up so i have to hang stuff everywhere. I mop my kitchen 2-3 time a week depending on the messes the dogs make. I make my bed the second my feet hit the floor in the morning. If I don't i tend to forget it. toilet, tub and sinks once a week. Spring cleaning will be coming up and I can't wait. I use a woodburner for heat and I tried ot keep up with it but it is impossible. as soon as i dont have to use if for a few months i will clean everything because of soot. i washed my windows and a week later i could rub my hand across them and have a black hand. just try to do something everyday and switch around if u want to so it doesnt get boring
    Dianakk

Answer by Dianakk at 4:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As a mother of two and working fulltime I had a firm schedule which left the weekends totally free. Most jobs were done in the late afternoon or evening although washing was done early in the morning so I could hang it out before we all went to school and work. I vacuumed on Thursdays before washing the floors. Shopping was done after dinner at night while my husband supervised homework. I focussed on one room for each day of the week for extra cleaning and neatening. My children played sport during the week so we took that in turns and it left some time for the other parent to do jobs at home. I usually started my day before six o'clock in the morning and finished pretty late. I studied after the children were asleep. I stayed up studying until 2.30 on Thursday nights. (Fridays at work were not too difficult.) I never watched TV. We survived and the weekends were great. I do not believe in sleeping in.
    MLM247

Answer by MLM247 at 6:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• For me I clean as I go and don't place myself on schedule. The reason for that is because life happens and schedules get interrupted.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:09 AM on Feb. 8, 2011