Does once no epidural mean never no more epidural?

Have you ever had an epidural during a subsequent labor after having 1 naturally? Will hospitals allow that?

keisha613

Asked by keisha613 at 2:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• Of course they allow it. Epidurals make money for them and cause more interventions, which make even more money for the hospital and doctors. Hospitals are in the business to make money.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• they tried to give me 1 the next time, but I did not want it
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 2:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Um, yeah...but if you know you can do it, why have a needle jammed up your back? lol
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• The hospital should allow you to do whatever the hell you want. =)

I'm a big proponent of natural birth but also feel like the women should have the right to do what she feels is best.

An epidural is simply a pain relieving measure. There is no reason why one should be denied one unless the doctor thinks that you have progressed too far in labor. The more numb you are the less effective you push.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 2:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Of course they will- as long as you make it there in time. With my 1st one I chickened out, with the 2nd I labored at home too long. Finally, w/ the 3rd & final, I got the epidural. I wanted to kiss the epidural guy! You still get the grand prize at the end- why suffer?! -lol
    GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 2:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Obviously it is a very PERSONAL choice. But if the epidural is done properly, you will still be able to push effectively. (of course you know that if you've had one-so you can compare the experiences) Not every labor is the same either. Back labor sucks! (There is no good labor as far as pain goes I suppose) Having experienced trying it both ways, discuss it with your Dr. ahead of time, so it's in your chart & it will avoid delays if you decide you want it. BTW - You are NOT a chicken for deciding not to have it- and you are NOT a chicken of less of a woman for deciding you want to have it either. Whatever you decide- I wish you the best! :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 4:03 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No there isn't a rule like that.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 5:19 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I had #4 without an epidural because she came too fast. I would actually love to do it again. But if I chicken out and ask for one, I don't want them to say "well, your last one was without it...yada yada ya"
    keisha613

Comment by keisha613 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011