Midwives vs gyno's **PLEASE READ**

ok so I have asked this question several times and cant get an answer. I have even asked it in the TTC group and nada. with my first I was so ill prepared I feel like there were many things I would do differently. One thing I am debating on is a midwife or another OBGYN. I am doing research on EVERYTHING and would love some input on this.

We are TTC baby number two. For those who have had a regular OBGYN and a midwife, which did you prefer?

With midwives, where did you give birth? Did you use meds? Is there anything specific that midwives and OBGYN's do differently?

With our DD we went with the OBGYN and I had an absolutely horrible birthing experience. I am thinking about going with a midwife and a home birth this next time around but I am not sure. Any advice?

LizzieAnnesMom

Asked by LizzieAnnesMom at 2:06 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• I had hospital births with OBs for my first 2 births. My last one was at home with midwives and it was a FAR superior experience and outcome for all of us!!! I stronly encourage this route if you have any inclination toward it whatsoever!!!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I had the best of both worlds because I used a practice that had both OBs and a midwife. I was even high risk and saw both, depending on what I was there for. My midwife did all my routine checks, and my high risk OB did all the more complicated tests. I saw them each once a week. I delivered with my midwife both times, in a hospital.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• In my area, Midwives work out of the local OB/GYN offices and everyone that has used them has loved them even the one gal that ended up having to have a c-section.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I started seeing an Ob/Gyn with this pregnancy- she was a wonderful doctor. She was a wonderful person. But she couldn't make me comfortable about the type of birth I wanted. I want as close to a home birth as I can get. I don't want to be put on a timer when I get to the hospital and if I don't dilate to this point by this time then they start pitocin. Which leads to needing an epidural. Which leads to not feeling anything and your body slowing contraction- so they up the pitocin which makes you feel the pain again. So then you need your epi to be upped.

Not for me. I'm seeing a midwife group and no one will do anything unless I want them to. They provide support, longer appointments so I can ask all of the questions I want, they talk about personal things so you get to know them and they get to know you. I feel much more confident about my birth now that I am with the midwives.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 2:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Oh, for one thing, midwives are often better educated in alternative medicines/pain management, etc. Your visits with midwives will be much longer and more personal. A midwife will be a lot like a friend or mother, and less aloof and "busy" than an OB, provided she works outside a hospital setting, that is. The practices are vastly different.
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 2:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thanks for the input. Seems the general agreement is towards midwives.
    LizzieAnnesMom

Comment by LizzieAnnesMom (original poster) at 2:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i had an ob for both of mine and both docs were wonderful. they had answers to all my questions and even supported me in my birth plans. i was never rushed and was always able to call and talk to the nurse whenever i wanted. there were many times we went over in my appt time because me and the doc were talking about things. i personally belive its all in you choice of doctor and what you want with your doctor. if you dont care for a certain doc then change. i know i did. i got lucky the first time and got a great one right off the bat with my first kid and the second i did change once and found a wonderful doc after i changed.
    you just have to know how to talk to the doc and be well informed and talk to your doc about your plans and how you want things to go.
    overall you just have to be comfortable with whomever is caring for you and the person is supportive in your plans.
    laura970

Answer by laura970 at 2:44 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Midwife at the hospital, some with drugs, some without. Totally recommend this particular midwife - she's so popular women drive 2-3 hours to see her/birth in this hospital with her.
    Anonymous

• I went with an OB for my first son and felt like a number- epidural, in hospital, pretty terrible experience overall. This time we're going with a midwife and a birth in a birthing center, no medication. With the midwife we chose you have options- hospital birth with midwife in attendance or birthing center. If you choose the hospital you have the advantage of an OB being on site, and anesthesiologist, and emergency medical staff. If you choose the birthing center it's completely natural, in a home-like setting.

I agree with a previous poster- you can get good or bad OBs or midwives. Call and talk to the local practices, see which one feels right for you. Only you know what kind of birth you want to have.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 5:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I went with a midwife and the entire experience was wonderful though i had to have a C section my midwife stood by my side and calmly explained everything that was happening and when my baby had to stay in the hospital they checked on her as often as i did
    krissii

Answer by krissii at 1:55 AM on Feb. 8, 2011