Should mothers be told that breastmilk is no longer nutritious after 2 years of breastfeeding?

A teacher just told me this and also said that if I decided to continue breastfeeding after the second year that I should be aware that my son will not be getting the nutrients anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I personally would be talking to the school board. Print her out copies of the recommendations from the WHO, and then on top of that I would be asking her since up to the age of 2 the studies that have been done show continued nutritional benefits, but there has been no studies after the age of to into breastfeeding and nutrition... so how does she "know" that it does not provide continued benefits. The school board needs to know when one of their teachers is misinforming students on matters that can affect the health of a child.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• that sounds ridiculous, even cow's milk has vitamins in it, your breastmilk would still have vitamins and caloric content. otherwise it would be like drinking water, which is still good for you.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 2:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It is still nutritious, BUT it shouldn't be the ONLY source of nutrients that a child that age gets.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 2:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think WHO recommends nursing up to two years old, but does not state you have to stop. Mothers milk changes as kids grow and helps build kids immune systems even after age 2.

I was a tandem nursing, child lead nursing mama.
    mom2boys1997

Answer by mom2boys1997 at 2:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• a teacher of what? Boy would i like to have a few words with her. She is WRONG, and needs to either get educated or shut her mouth. The body will continue to make nutrients for as long as you bf. But there are so many other reasons for extended bf-ing. the longer a woman bf's, the more she reduces her odds for breast and other cancers. And, as a women becomes exposed to germs and illness, her body will make anti-bodies, after approx 12 hours, she is passing these anti-bodies onto the child bf-ing, thus increasing the child's immune system. You can tell HER that you learned that from a breastfeeding consultant and educator, with a degree in childhood develpment and nutrition!

It's ignorant people like her that are the reason that women are not more comfortable and educated about bf-ing. I would seriously like to know what she teaches? and is this high school, college, or otherwise?
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 2:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• call her a dumbass and move on
    kittymeri

Answer by kittymeri at 2:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i agree with daughteroftruth.

And even though there may not have been studies of nutrion and breastfeeding past age two (though i'm sure i could find some if i contacted my fellow consultants?), there is enough studies out there that do emphasize the benifits of extended bf-ing, should a mother chose to.

'Who is the asshat voting down these answers??" I agree with that too...but i think it's just someone trying to stir up trouble. Whatever.

OP, if you want to continue to bf, good for you, if you chose to wean, that's a choice for you to make. You can always consult local lactation specialists/consultants in your area, laleche league, or a support groups for more information. Personally, if this were a preschool teacher in a center in my area, i'd be calling the director and having a meeting on educating the employee's better.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• No and this makes absolutely no sense either. We're not cows but yet drink their milk and continue to do so our entire lives without thinking that "it's no longer nutritious" but yet when it comes to giving humans humans milk, magically the nutrients I guess disappear after the person ingesting it turns 2 years old.
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 2:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Oh, MotherofIreland...I think I love you!

blowing kisses

misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 4:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• misses_nick - Awe, you're making me blush! T'anks!!
    MotherofIreland

Answer by MotherofIreland at 11:04 PM on Feb. 7, 2011