When should you first take your child to the dentist?

The ADA recommends taking your child to the dentist within 6 months after their first tooth erupts or by 1 year old. News to me, I missed this by a long shot for my son but am hoping this information helps others.

BaliBlindsMom

Asked by BaliBlindsMom at 2:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thank you
    MMXI

Answer by MMXI at 2:24 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I called my pediatric dentist and he recommends seeing them at 2, so that's when we set our appointment for.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When they have teeth... the sooner the better and they learn to get used to the whole aspect of doing it too
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 2:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I heard that too, except now my child is two this month and has yet to go to the dentist..i will be taking him very shortly. I also just found out a child needs to see an eye doctor at 1 , news to me as well, im still trying to figure out how they check a 1 yr olds eyes without them saying anything about how they are seeing things. lol..but...im also not an eye doctor either
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:26 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Started my daughter at 3 at a peds dentist... she was pretty nervous and I had to sit in the chair with her til she was 4
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 2:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree with Momma Clark3. I was told/ read that as soon as they received their first tooth you should find a pediatric dentist. My daughter went for her first cleaning at about 18 months and she did great! No dentist anxiety or anything, so I think it was a great suggestion. :)
    teeloffel

Answer by teeloffel at 2:29 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Our dentist said between 2 and 3 years old (after most of their teeth have erupted. The most important thing to do now is to rub a clean cloth around the tooth or teeth after eating and before bedtime to ensure they are clean.
    Chasingtot

Answer by Chasingtot at 2:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i heard when they get teeth but i took mine at 4 and now she loves the dentist
    augboy11

Answer by augboy11 at 2:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My pediatric dentist said 4. Before that they are too young to cooperate. How would you expect a 6 month old to do what they are told? If there is a problem before 4, then take them but before that it is not necessary. I have actually had many dentists tell me the same thing.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My Dentist didn't want to see my daughter until at LEAST 4-5. Of course everyone I've talked to says that's way too late, I know I didn't go until I started school. My daughter just turned 4 and I made her an apt w/ a kid-friendly dentist.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011