How important do you think sex is to a marriage?

If one partner just wasn't in the mood and felt bad doing it just to pacify the other would it be bad to not do it for say a month or so. I think sex is important in ways and is a great part of marriage and being intimate BUT not so much so that a partner should stray from his partner because he/she's not getting any. What do you think?And whats the deal with Viagra and sex issues being considered a health ailment and being covered by insurance companies when some people can't even get thier real health issues taken care of?It just seems that society places way to much importance on sex. Is it true that you can get divorced over a sexless marriage or is that some bull malarky I heard somewhere. Just curious to see what the normal opinion is out there. I love sex, don't get me wrong, I love the intimacy it creates between me and dh and its just an enjoyable way to spend some close time together. Looking at it that way I suppose it is pretty important then other times I'm like did he really use not getting it at home as an excuse to cheat. (not my experience ....just excuses I hear men use) I just don't think its as important as people try to make it. Like its a need not a desire.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• to males its everything and i do mean everything.
    to females it dosent run their life.
    letstalk747

Answer by letstalk747 at 2:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Very important,otherwise you'd just be roommates
    If either is going away mad because they can't compromise on frequency,it becomes even MORE important

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Agreed, letstalk747!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I can and only will speak for my marriage

Sex is an extremely important part of my marriage.Sex is far more than just physical gratification and release for us.Sex is all encompassing, a dance with the cosmos so to speak.Sex reinforces our emotional feelings and ties to one another. Sex helps keep us in harmony and helps to keep us connected. It's also great fun and a great stress reducer (lol). Intimacy is a need in my marriage.

What I personally think is important is this.BOTH parties of a relationship being happy, fulfilled, satisfied, and pleasured by/with their sex life. If both parties are not, it can cause issues/problems/resentments in a relationship.It's very important for a couple to be on the same page sexually, it contributes to the overall health and happiness of a relationship. What you described in my opinion is not a mutually healthy and happy sex life, and in the long run may very well cause issues.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yes, I agree with letstalk747, I think that's all they think about.
    pswiley

Answer by pswiley at 2:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It IS a need. I think couples need to reinforce the intimacy of their relationship on a regular basis. I think sex allows people to connect on a level you just don't get from anything else and good sex is rather important to a successful marriage.

hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 2:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think sex is just one part of marraige. Not the most important part. I told my DH that if something happened to me and I could not have sex anymore (in a wheel chair). I would still expect him to be faithfull to me. Because I would be faithfull to him if it happened to him. I told him to that don't go get the viagra for my sake, if he ever thinks of doing it.

Answer by louise2 at 3:01 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Unless there's some underlying condition, physical or mental, that is responsible for diminished sexual desire, I say that sex is an important EXPRESSION of love and intimacy. It helps strengthen an existing bond. If there's something lacking in the marriage (communication, respect, emotional intimacy), then the QUALITY (and likely the quantity) of the sex will definitely be affected negatively.
    wishbearmom

Answer by wishbearmom at 3:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Thats my thinking too, louise2, I know its part of a marriage but I'd hate to think our love wasn't strong enough for us to still be together if that aspect wasn't there anymore. Like I'd hope that theres more to love about me than just the bedroom part. I also get how much I would miss that part of our lives too but I wouldn't leave someone over it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think it is important to keep that flame alive but I have noticed with me I am not as skinny as I was when we first started dated and I have lost my sex drive a little bit! So My DH doesnt understand I wish I could get it back though
    CnBsMomma

Answer by CnBsMomma at 3:12 PM on Feb. 7, 2011