How do I get my 5 mos old to take medicine?

My DD has a bacterial infection and the doctor prescibed anti-biotics and to inter change motrin and tylenol. I have tried to squirt a small amount of the dosage into the inside of her cheek, but she freaks out, gags and end up vomitting all over. What good is the medicine if she can't keep it down? Any ideas?
Thanks ladies

andria82

Asked by andria82 at 2:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try on her gums or tongue

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Do you bottlefeed him? Can you mix it into one of them?
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• We got one of the little syringes and DD did "drink" it from that. The only other reccomendation is to put it in some juice. Try making sure he is siting up (so he won't gag. and squirting it just into his mouth (not so far back) Good luck!
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 2:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I mean her! Sorry, I saw the DS at the end and so I typed him.
    Good luck.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 2:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What my husband and i do is lay my son on his back and my husband gets behind my sons head (so he has to look upside to see daddy) and he makes sounds and sings and gets my son to be distracted, i squirt the medicine in his mouth and instant pull him up and stick his sippy cup in his mouth, not only is he confused but he gets to distracted sucking on the sippy cup in his mouth to spit out the medicine. It does work, i know it sounds kinda...nuts ..but when a kid needs medicine (my son had a 103 fever0 you will do what you have to to get that child to swallow. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 2:59 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I used to draw the meds up in a syringe and squirt it into a nipple as she sucked
    Danyellimom

Answer by Danyellimom at 4:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Mix it into the bottle if you bottle feed. Does the baby use a binky? paci? They have some that are specifically for administering medicine. You pour the medicine into the back, lock the little thing in place and put in babys mouth. They suck it out of the binky gradually.
    4xsthetrouble

Answer by 4xsthetrouble at 5:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I take the top off the baby bottle and squirt the meds into the nipple and then stick it in my sons mouth and he drinks it without a problem.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 11:11 PM on Feb. 7, 2011