I am going to be fat forever....

I am having such a hard time trying to lose weight, I am so out of shape that I get winded so easily. I know a journey takes a step, but it just seems like i have such a long journey ahead of me (100+ lbs to lose)
how do you stay/get motivated?

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 2:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• I know how you feel. I'm 5'11" 280lbs. Goal weight of 165. I get winded easily too....but I need to do it for myself because I've had enough of being tired all the time and my joints hurting because of weight put on so fast. I have to do it for my kids, so I can be an ACTIVE parent, not just sitting on the sidelines in life. I have to do it this time. I'm on weight watchers (unofficially. I look the stuff up online) and go the extra mile...like making that extra trip upstairs or repeating some of the steps.
    You have to keep telling yourself you won't be winded forever...you body just has to get used to it all again.
    I think back to high school when I used to play sports and run a mile......I can do it...it's just deep inside me.
    Good luck mama! If you ever need support I'm here! xo
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 3:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My friend is currently gong through this battle..and I ask her how she does it. She says every terrible tasting bite of tasteless crap she puts in her mouth is for her kids. They are her motivation to lose weight..because she wants to be healthy and stay alive for a long time for them.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:57 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'm in the same boat. My husband & I recently got the book, The 17 Day Diet, (as seen on The Doctors, Dr. Phill & Dr. Oz) & we are loving it & already losing weight after only a few days. Seeing such quick results really keeps me motivated. It's not a crazy diet, it's a lifestyle change & way of eating that we can go by for the rest of our lives. You might want to check it out. Here's the link...

www.the 17daydiet.com

Best Wishes to you...

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Portion control and someone to help you stay motivated.
    I am finally starting going to the gym, and what did it was a friend. She and I both had been meaning to go for some time and when we found that out we made a date. She picks up DD and I and her 2 boys head out. We lace the 3 of them with the gym's "daycare" and do a 1 hour work out.
    Also try to eat slower. I realized that with all the running around that I was eating way too fast. If I can slow down I actually eat less as my body has the chance to catch up and tell me that I'm full. Take abouth half of what you would normally eat (I only get the chance to do this with dinner) and try to eat it slowly (this does not always happen). Then wait, maybe about 10-15 minutes. If you are still hungry, then go ahead and get some more, but maybe a little less than the first time. I end up eating less and feeling better. I refuse to go on a "diet" so this helps.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 3:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I need to lose about 75 pounds. I had a baby 6 months ago, though none of this weight is from my pregnancy. I lost all of that without trying. I think nursing helped with that. I just have always been overweight. I think everyone needs to lose the word "diet". We need to focus on lifestyle changes! Park far from the doors at the store, eat less fast food, if you have to eat it, make good choices. Portion size is probably one of the biggest issues America has. If you have a good friend to work out with, ask them to help you out. Can you afford a personal trainer? Do you have exercise equipment at home so leaving the house is not an issue? You just have to believe in yourself!!!! No one else is watching out for you, you must watch out for yourself. Keep us posted on your weight loss!!! I know you can do it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    CollinsMommy729

Answer by CollinsMommy729 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Diet #2
    • 8:00 AM – Meal 1 – 4 egg whites, ½ frozen banana, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries blended in 10oz unsweetened almond milk & crushed ice.
    • 10:30 AM – Meal 2 – 3 Hardboiled eggs (2 yolks not eaten) and ½ grapefruit
    • 12:00 PM – Meal 3 – Green Salad with Grilled chicken Breast
    • 3:00 PM – Meal 4 – One can of Tuna fish and ½ grapefruit
    • 5:30 PM – Meal 5 – 8oz grilled fish, grilled chicken breast or grilled turkey, mixed vegetables, 10 Bites of sweet potato or brown rice.
    • 7:30 PM – Meal 6 - Fiber Supplement or Apple and/or Strawberries, Raspberries, Blackberries, Cherries.

StartHomeCareer

Answer by StartHomeCareer at 5:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• First of all, think positive!
    Never say "you will be fat forever"
    Check out Oprah's website, Bob Green has some great advice.
    It takes time, stick with it, move, eat right!!! walk a little outside everyday, start off slow add a little more each day.
    Linda1012

Answer by Linda1012 at 6:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Stay away from the gimmicks - if it has a name, has been trendy, or requires you to seriously restrict otherwise healthy food - it's not going to work long term, it will just give you a false sense of achievement right before you gain it all back. If you can afford it or your insurance will cover it, it is absolutely worth the expense to make an appointment with a dietitian. If you can't, you want to modify your eating habits so that you eat unprocessed, healthy foods and track your calories and balance of fat, protein and carbs (you need ALL 3). Make small changes one at a time so you'll make habits of them and stick with them forever.

Start with just cutting out fast/frozen/canned/boxed food or drinking more water. Do one change a few weeks, then add another. Focus on those little achievements and quit worrying about a number on a scale. Making changes and sticking with them are what will make you lose & keep it off.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• you can do it! If I can...you can lol. It has taken me almost 3 years but I am FINALLY 5 pounds closer to my pre-pregnancy weight. I gained 60 pregnancy pounds! I have reduced my meal portions, chose healthier snacks and drink a lot of water. I am physically active with my son (we are outside a lot) and I try to exercise every day
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 3:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• If you "lose" weight, you will eventually find it again. Try to "release" a little at a time. Drink plenty of water, especially before a meal. Eat slowly, let your body tell you when it's full. Make an affirmation for yourself. Keep it positive. Like: I am releasing unwanted weight so that I will be healthy and live a long life. Try not to use words like don't, can't, or not. Try a few vegetarian dishes, some are really good. If you must have meat, go for the lean. If you like beef, try bison/buffalo. It has a LOT less fat than beef and tastes just as good or better. I use spinach instead of iceberg lettuce in salads and on sandwiches. I also make a sandwich with ONE piece of bread. Want incentive? Smaller clothes are cheaper, you will breathe better, lengthen your life, gain a more positive attitude, make new friends. Good luck.
    Kimimale

Answer by Kimimale at 3:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011