3 year old not sleeping through the night anymore... help!

since Oct 2010 my son will not sleep through the night. He was getting up around mid night at coming to get in my bed.. I figured it was being cause he had out grown his toddler bed... I went and bought him a big boy bed... its a twin storage bed... he just got that last month... I have rearranged his room, taking everything out like stuffed animals things like that, we stick to his bed time routine 8:30 every night... i thought maybe it was the cold meds i was giveing him but i stopped all together and i aslo gave them to him at different times thinkingi it was keeping him away... he dosnt go to bed with the tv on at all and the door is shut and completely dark in there... i was reading on line where he could possiably have sleep apnea.. which my husband has to wear a c pap.. but i just dont know what else to do... I have 21 weeks preggo and I need some sleep.. more than 3 hrs!

LeeHarper23

Asked by LeeHarper23 at 3:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Oyyyyyyy, I feel ya! My son is 3 as well and comes into bed with us. Have yall tried to put him back in bed after he falls asleep? We do that sometimes and he stays in there.
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 3:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Your reading too much into it. I really doubt he has sleep apnea. Does he go to sleep in your bed with you?

My dd does this too and she's the same age. You have to keep putting them back into bed. They'll get the point that your not up to play, and your not going to let them sleep in your room.
    Anonymous

• Does he take a nap during the day? I know when my son was this age he was not go to sleep for hours on end, he would be up til 10:00 or 11:00 most nights and then he would take a nap in the afternoon. I tried stopping him from taking a nap and he was still going to bed late. The Doctor said I should just let him take his nap, put him to bed at his normal bed time and in a couple months he will correct his sleeping pattern. It took 6 months and even now sometimes he still does this.

I would try talking to your son and see if he is having bad dreams or what. It might just be something that he has to out grow.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Have you tried white noise? My son LOVES his fan, in fact i cant even sleep without a fan (sleeping in complete silence freaks me out and im an adult), or perhaps a nightlight? He is getting to that age where things will start scaring him now, they have those cute little night lights that have like pictures of fish or planes that go around in a circle. What about you sleeping with a teddy bear for a few nights (or a spray you commanly use) and then giving that teddy bear to him? Itll have your scent on it and it might calm him down in the middle of night. Is he thirsty? maybe leaving a small cup of water by his bedside might help. Even playing some good night soothing baby music, like classical or something real softly to lull him to sleep and if its real gentle it wont wake him up. Good luck!
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I put him back in but but after the 5th time for the last 4 to 5 months of getting up I am TIRED! He does go back to sleep in my bed but not soundly he will whiny and cry in his sleep... i know all about repetition and i have been but after that long you get tired! I havent tried any of the white noise because he covers his head up and hides it under pillow and blaket so i figured he liked complete darkness and quitness... I will give that a try though and see if it helps...
    LeeHarper23

Comment by LeeHarper23 (original poster) at 3:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He may have to go to the bathroom. My kids would wake up and cry when they had to go to the bathroom.
    He may have dreams. At that age they are so active they may have dreams at night.

I would really try taking him to the bathroom tho... It helped me most of the time with the kids.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 3:48 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• That would be great but he has no intrest in the potty.. he isnt potty trained and shows no sign of it! :/
    LeeHarper23

Comment by LeeHarper23 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i just wanted to follow up and say that my son did have sleep apean and he he had his T&A does 2 weeks ago!
    LeeHarper23

Comment by LeeHarper23 (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Mar. 28, 2011