Not sure what to expect next...

Today I am 12 weeks pregnant. I went for the 1st trimester screening today as well. The doctor came in and said everything looked good with the ultrasound but the blood test came back with me being high risk for this baby having trisomy 18/13. I lost my last pregnancy due to a missed miscarriage and was extremely happy to see that this pregnancy seemed to be going well until today. Doctor's office did an in-office ultrasound which showed a heartbeat something I didn't have last time. Now, I have to figure out what I am going to do from here. Trisomy13 babies usually won't make it the full 40 weeks in womb which will leave me to deliver a still born. Trisomy 18 most likely are born but don't live past the first year. I have the option to terminate the pregnancy now. I also can have a CVS done which can test for the genetic abnormalities. That carries a 1 and 200 chance of miscarrying. As of now, i have opted to wait 6 weeks and have a level 2 ultra sound performed so they can look in more detail as the development of the baby. Babies with either one of these disorders usually have clenched hands and feet and facial issues. They are going to look for these at the second ultrasound. Pending the results of that, I may have a aminoscentsis. So my question is, Has anyone else had any of these issues? How did you deal with it? What was the outcome? Can the blood test be wrong?

nmaxwell816

Asked by nmaxwell816 at 3:25 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I would definately research it first. Since many of the tests give a false positive. You need to figure out what test they did and check the accuracy of it. First trimester screening is not a diagnostic test, which means it cannot tell you whether your baby has Down syndrome, trisomy 13, or trisomy 18. Instead, the screening provides a probability that the baby might have Down syndrome, trisomy 13, or trisomy 18. This probability, or chance, is based on three criteria: your age, information obtained on a sonogram (ultrasound), and bloodwork. The screening results can either alert you and your doctor that your baby is at an increased risk for one of these chromosome disorders or be reassuring that your baby is at a lower risk for these conditions.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/bin/e/x/first_trimester_screening_patients.pdf

Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am sorry, i really dont have any answers because i never went through that, but i did want to post to you that you are in my prayers. you are in a terribly difficult situation and i know you will do the right answer for YOU. What is your gut telling you? Try and read up on all of the facts of how you can have a trisomy18/13 baby. What are the odds, who does this affect most often? How high risk does your doctor feel that you have? How does your SO feel about this? and last but not least...What is best for this baby? Your in my heart and prayers and i wish you only the best of possible outcome for you and your baby. Good luck and try and keep your chin up.
    Bobbysgurl

Answer by Bobbysgurl at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Since they cannot give a precise yes or no, I opted out of all tests.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I"m soooo sorry hun! Something like this is never easy to deal with. I would do a bit of research and see if you can't find a support group for this type of thing. That way you can get the opinion of moms who've actually had to deal with this.
    However there is a small chance that the test is wrong. It's a hard decision momma. I'm sorry.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:23 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I just want to say I am praying for you and your little one. No matter how this turns out I hope you are both surrounded with love and care.
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I'd do more testing before considering a termination,the blood test has a high false positive rate.
    lizziebreath

Answer by lizziebreath at 7:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i will pray an have faith in god just because the doctor's say one thing god always has the last say good luck if it wasn't meant to be then you wouldn't have got pregnant this time god want put anything on you that you can't bare
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 10:18 PM on Feb. 7, 2011