What is up with this "submissive wife" thing?

I guess I am not sure why any woman would want to be in a relationship like this (I am not bashing, I just don't understand)? I have worked hard to be the person I have become, and I am working hard to earn my degree and have a better life for me and my children and to be able to care of myself and my children and my family for that matter, I would have a hard time letting a man take away my independence and individuality to fulfill his need to have a "submissive wife" and to feel like he was wearing the pants in the family. What happened to equal partners?

2boysnaprincess

Asked by 2boysnaprincess at 3:28 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• Thats where the misunderstanding comes. Woman her submissive and they assume "less"... Thats not it at all. I submit to my husband, yet we are equal, and I would never be a door mat. I am also very independent. I would love to go into it more, but I have to go put kids down for naps.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• R u talking about certain cultures like Indonesia,India,and muslim or arab?
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Personally i tired it for 3 months. i couldn't keep it up. but i think that just because a woman may submit to her husband in some way, that doesn't take away from the woman that she is. I think submission is a life style choice. and between two people that love and most importantly respect each other it can be beautiful thing. I don't think its for everyone though.
    EttaMay

Answer by EttaMay at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I agree, I would have a hard time as well. I like being equals! I like that my opinion matters, and I know I'm outspoken at times but I LOVE that my husband is ok with that.

csmsand

Answer by csmsand at 3:32 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think I am considered to be a submissive wife and NO he does NOT take away my individuality.  Neither one of us has independence, we do everything together and as a team.  He pays the bills, he makes the decisions.  He has better ideas then I do and he does what he has to, to take care of his family.  He is better with money, so he decides what happens with it.  If by "equal" you mean that we all have our roles then yes, we are very much equal.  I cook, clean, take care of the kids.  He works, pays the bills, and figures out to take care of us all on that money.  He always asks my opinion but he is older and wiser and his thought process works differently then mine.  I am not bashing myself, but I do however know my own weaknesses. 

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:33 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't know, but I'm with you. I'm no more or less of a spouse in the marriage than he is. Those questions remind me of that commerical I keep seeing about women getting paid lesser wages then a man and women are not WORTH LESS lol. I'm not a feminist or anything but I'll be damned if I'm determined my role in marriage, life or anything just because I'm a woman!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't know. Not what we do in our home.
    tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 3:36 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think people assume that when a wife is submissive her husband is a jerk. That's not necessarily the case. Just because you put your husband's needs above your own does not make you a door mat. Instead, it's just the opposite. When I strive to make my husband really happy, he does the same for me.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 3:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• daughteroftruth, They r not talking about only sex!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I could never do it either. Make a the decisions and I am just left sitting their doing what he tells me to do.

Answer by louise2 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011