Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Taxes Question.

Can my fiance clam me on his taxes? or we have to be married ?
5 yrs & two kids together dont know if that would make a differnce.

Answer Question

Asked by yamil519 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

Level 12 (791 Credits)
Answers (7)
  • If he provides more than 50% of your support and you have lived with him more than 6 months of the year..yes he could he would claim head of household. If you file married filing joint and you broke up, legally you would have to get a divorce.

    Answer by Momforhealth at 3:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • ya he can claim you as long as he is the main money maker and you were not paying rent to him

    Answer by blinkys11 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • As long as you lived with him for a full year (non-relative test on the site) and he provided more than half of your support. Same with your daughter, although I don't think he would get the additional child credit if she is not his relative.

    Answer by Candi1024 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • This depends upon where you live, because some states still have laws against cohabitation by unmarried couples (VA, WV, FL, MI, MS, ND, NC). He cannot file as married, because you aren't.

    Answer by evwsquared at 3:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • Candi's right. Talk to a tax preparer just to make sure you qualify as his dependents. Good luck!

    Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • I think you have to be married to file as married

    Answer by MChildressDem at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

  • He can claim you as long as he has your ss number I claimed my sons father last year and we aren't married yet

    Answer by toybar02 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.