Taxes Question.

Can my fiance clam me on his taxes? or we have to be married ?
5 yrs & two kids together dont know if that would make a differnce.

yamil519

Asked by yamil519 at 3:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Money & Work

• If he provides more than 50% of your support and you have lived with him more than 6 months of the year..yes he could he would claim head of household. If you file married filing joint and you broke up, legally you would have to get a divorce.
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ya he can claim you as long as he is the main money maker and you were not paying rent to him
    blinkys11

Answer by blinkys11 at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• As long as you lived with him for a full year (non-relative test on the irs.gov site) and he provided more than half of your support. Same with your daughter, although I don't think he would get the additional child credit if she is not his relative.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 3:40 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• This depends upon where you live, because some states still have laws against cohabitation by unmarried couples (VA, WV, FL, MI, MS, ND, NC). He cannot file as married, because you aren't.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 3:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Candi's right. Talk to a tax preparer just to make sure you qualify as his dependents. Good luck!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 3:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I think you have to be married to file as married
    MChildressDem

Answer by MChildressDem at 9:35 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• He can claim you as long as he has your ss number I claimed my sons father last year and we aren't married yet
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 8, 2011