Can someone explain to me how a wife can be "submissive" yet still be "equal"?

Because if you SUBMIT to anyone, does that not make them above you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:37 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• I don't think there is a way to be submissive and equal.
    I personally don't see the need for it. If you want to be equal, then why does anyone have to be submissive?

my idea of submissive is who is wearing the cuffs, who is holding the whip! :)
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 7:31 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Nope, because while you allow your husband to make all the decisions, he also takes your feelings on the matter into part of the decision. A true caring dominant husband never makes decisions that will adversely affect his wife.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:39 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• popcorn

I have seen this subject get heated in the past. Sitting back and watching this question.

tiddliwinks

Answer by tiddliwinks at 3:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• ~*Smiles*~ Absolutely NO relationship isever equal, there are always going to be one giving more and the other taking, and it goes back and forth. My aunt explained this one to me when I stated my husband and I were 50/50... and in all honesty, when I step back and lookin... I think I take more than I give in our relationship
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My hub and I are equals.  Both of our opinions matter but in different areas of life.  I deal with the house and our kids, he deals with work and bills.  If I have an opinion on the kids, he doesn't disagree.  If he has an opinion on money, I don't disagree.  That is equal to me.

MrsHouston47302

Answer by MrsHouston47302 at 3:41 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• @ Tiddliwinks... that is why it was probably asked Anon1 Hahaha
    MommaClark3

Answer by MommaClark3 at 3:47 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My personal opinion is this.

There is no such thing as pure equality in any relationship. It's impossible to have absolute equality or to be absolutely fair in any relationship. What is equal and fair to one, is ultimately unequal and unfair to another.Trying to strive for the impossible is pointless and causes more issues than need be. The key is this.Knowing and understanding that there is no such thing as pure and true equality, and working TOGETHER to create/have the very best relationship possible.For some that means one person having "control" over somethings in the relationship, for other's it is both trying to take control, for others that means one person having control of this or that/the other having control of this & that and others still spend their time fighting for control. It all boils down to how an individual couple chooses to live. What they both agree makes them happy & maintains a happy relationship.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• depends on how she is submissive. I would think that since you are equal partners sometimes stepping back and allowing your partner to lead and make the decisions or agreeing with your partner on subjects rather than trying to outwit your partner, standing behind your partner regardless if they are right or wrong out of love.. is healthy submissiveness .
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 3:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Does this have anything to do with religious views? My grandmother told me once that she believes in what the bible says, that "a woman should submit to the man in all things". I was initially appaled, wondering how one person could subjugate herself to another like that. But I reflected on their relationship, which always seemed 2-sided to me. Grandma always spoke up when she wanted, especially when it came to the home and her children/grandchildren. She did the shopping with no input from my Grandpa, and she always had money to buy what she needed. I know Grandpa made most of the other decisions, though. Maybe the submissive thing is all relative; if you asked my Grandmother, I'm sure she would say she was submissive during her marriage, but I remember her practically spitting fire when she thought my Grandpa was in the wrong about something!
    hrh.sassypants

Answer by hrh.sassypants at 3:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• What it means is that you both talk over the issue and you both have in put.
    Your husband makes the finally decision. If you really loves you he will take
    into account how you feel.
    What it means ... is that he should love you as much as he loves God.
    If you husband doesn't love God then he would mostly interrupt that to
    mean he can boss you around.
    sew4heaven

Answer by sew4heaven at 3:55 PM on Feb. 7, 2011