yoga

has anyone had any luck losing weight and getting in shape with yoga, is it hard to get started?

jkmommy2

Asked by jkmommy2 at 11:00 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• I love yoga -- for me I am definitely a watch a video type of gal -- for others it may be going to a class or reading books on it. I like to follow a video at home.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:02 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• yoga is great for toning and stretching muscles. There are some yoga workouts that will help you lose weight however in order to lose weight you need some sort of aerobic activity that is really going to get your heart rate up and keep it up for at least 30 - 45 minutes. I supplement my workout routines with yoga, but do not rely on it solely to keep me in shape or to lose weight. There are some great yoga/pilates videos out there. Try collagevideo.com all of the exercise videos have "clips" so you can preview it and see if it is something that would interest you. Also, the videos are usually rated by the people who have purchased them so you can see what is said about it before you buy it. Good luck!
    Colleen801

Answer by Colleen801 at 11:21 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I didn't lose weight, but I didn't have any to lose, either (I'm just scrawny). However, yoga got me into better shape than anything else I've ever done (weight training, etc). The key is to push yourself, though. Starting out, depending on your balance and such, it might take awhile to feel like it's doing anything, but pretty soon you'll see results. I noticed a change in two days! I'd love to take another class, I just need to find one close to home and with hours that work around my work/baby time...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:41 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I recommend taking a class so that the instructor can watch your form and make sure you aren't doing anything harmful. She can also help you to really get into it. I didn't lose weight, but I did become more fit.

Answer by Bmat at 3:23 PM on Nov. 17, 2008

• I love yoga! It is great for stress relief and toning. I'm about to order a dvd called Power Yoga and one called Yogalates (I think that is the title, it is a compo of yoga and pilates). I'm not trying to lose weight just get more toned but from the reviews I read on this video, they are more vigorous that other yoga dvds. Good luck!

www.nhrproducts.com/behealthynow

honeybee8

Answer by honeybee8 at 7:49 AM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Its always been the only thing that's helped me tone up and loose weight. I love it.
    whohannah

Answer by whohannah at 3:07 PM on Nov. 18, 2008

• Oh and its not hard. Just buy a video from wal-mart for ten bucks and do it everyday.
    whohannah

• All I am saying is check out Madonna, that is all she does and she looks great!! I don't take yoga often because it doesn't fit my schedule, but I wish it did because I love it and feel so much better after taking it. It is suppose to make you flexable, look leaner and longer , if your interested take it, you will NOT regret it and trust me your husband will love you for it if you know what I mean.
    determind

Answer by determind at 8:38 PM on Nov. 18, 2008