I have a breast feeding question...

The older the baby gets...are they more reluctant to take a bottle and they would just rather nurse?
My baby will be 5 months old on the 22nd of this month.
He is the first one of my kids i've nursed this long.
When we go somewhere or have company over, I take my trustly little hand held medela pump and go into the bathroom and pump some milk for a bottle.
He was doing fine with it.
But now..he's refusing to drink from a bottle,he just wants to nurse at the breast.
Idk..not a total big deal really...I was just wondering.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 3:42 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• He's probably just developed a preference for one over the other. Most babies do, but most of the stories I've heard it's going the other way around! Consider yourself lucky!
    If you're okay with it, when you go out, just ask if there's somewhere you could go to breastfeed, if you're not comfortable doing it in front of people. And of course, at home, go sit in your bedroom - that's why I always did!
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:45 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Yeah, that's normal. Especially if you're the one giving the bottle. I call it the fresh vs stale cookie phenomenon... no one would take a stale cookie if fresh was right there.

Your breast = fresh cookie.

Bottle = stale cookie.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• They go thru a clingy stage around this age.

Can I ask why you pump rather than just nurse?
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Many stores have changing rooms. When I was just beginning to nurse, I would use them frequently.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:52 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Personally I would practice being discreet at home and try to get the hang of it. There are many different nursing covers available on the market. Personally I was discreet and you saw less boob from me then you did the teenager next to me and I DID NOT cover at all. I also didn't care if other people were uncomfortable. My child wanted to eat and that was the most important thing to me. But to answer your question they do develop a preference sometimes. My son would NEVER take a bottle, but around 4 months old the doc suggested trying the soft top sippy cups with my milk. Worked great for me to get a few hours to myself once in a while.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 4:34 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I normally do nurse...I just prefer to pump when theres company over or if were out somewhere. I'm not one to "whip it out" in front of people ,LOL. I don't mind if other people do it..I guess I"m just thinking about how some people look uncomfortable around me when I do nurse in front of them. Its no big deal to me to just pump it out real quick. But if he's not taking to the bottle...well..guess I have not much choice,lol.
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Oh..and I'm not good at being discreet about it either..I don't know why I can't get the hang of that,lol
    kimberlyinberea

• haha! Thats a good way to describe it, gdiamante!
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 3:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• changing room...never thought of that ! thats a good idea...I have actually went into a bathroom stall and nursed before..I did at my sons basket ball game..omg..it was at an elementary school,LOL..do you realize how small thier toilets are?? I loaded up the toilet seat with paper towels and sat in there and nurse. The baby didnt mind one bit but I couldnt wait to get out of there! lol
    kimberlyinberea

Comment by kimberlyinberea (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Why would you force a child to eat in a bathroom? That is disgusting.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:05 AM on Feb. 8, 2011