Divorced ladies....why did you decide to divorce you dh? What was the final straw that made you realize it was time?

2boysnaprincess

Asked by 2boysnaprincess at 3:49 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in Relationships

• We were low on money, I was working full time, he was working at a low paying job. I asked him if he would considering looking for another job, or working a second job, he said no. I said, what if our utilities were gonna be shut off, would you then? He said no. I have had the same job for 9 years, made decent money, and refused to be taking care of someone who wasn't going to help take care of me and our newborn child. So I left and never looked back and have never regretted it.
    genagina

Answer by genagina at 3:50 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When he and I were just talking and our 2 year old was trying to break us up. She had come to realize that any conversation that we had was an arguement, even when we kept our tone calm.

also, when I realized that I could not get over him cheating and only feeling sorry for getting caught.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• My son's dad and I weren't married, but we split up a year ago after 3 years together (and we were engaged for the last year). I just ultimately got fed up. He had stopped caring about the way he looked (he wouldn't shower, would rarely shave, etc), he ignored me completely until he wanted sex (he wouldn't even hear me speak), he'd spend grocery/bill money on cigarettes and beer and would get drunk about once a week, and he'd get mad at me when house work wasn't done though he wasn't doing any at all. I got so sick of none of that changing.
    AdensMama0308

Answer by AdensMama0308 at 3:51 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I divorced him because he was controlling and abusive, but the last straw was him taking me to an abortion clinic. Where he demanded I get rid of my baby, instead of the baby, I got rid of him!
    cecyh9

Answer by cecyh9 at 3:53 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• When I just felt like I had no fight left in me anymore... I was done.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 3:54 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I divorced my dh because he was extremely controlling. We were married for 25 years and I kept telling him if he didn't change I was walking. Well he didn't listen... didn't change and so I walked. I guess what pushed me was the day my daughter got married. I saw how happy she was and how much in love they were and thought... "I want that for myself" and today I have it with a totally new guy. Good luck!!
    Proudmomof82008

Answer by Proudmomof82008 at 3:58 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I have been divorced twice. First marriage we were both young and dumb and it just wasnt going to last. We didnt even like each other towards the end. I wanted to punch his face in every time I saw him. He was on drugs at the end, hit me, and wouldnt work. I figure the final straw was having this feeling I could easily inflict bodily injury on him and be happy about it. That scared me enough to know I needed a divorce.
    Second time, easy peasy. He cheated. I kicked him out.

Answer by gemgem at 4:07 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I am happily married now - but in the past I married someone I had dated for years and got divorced three months later. I was headed down that path because he was not contributing financially and was hiding money. I wasn't sure why and wondered if it was drugs. It turned out that he has a very severe pornography problem. He spent allot of time with young kids and I was also concerned that he was hurting them although I had no proof. When I found all of that out I left immediately.

An interesting thing about that - when we had our wedding lightning struck the church several times and the service was so delayed that the priest asked me if I was sure I wanted to continue. I don't know if that counts but I think it might have been a touch of attempted divine intervention!
    angelm523

Answer by angelm523 at 4:46 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• he was a drug addict and was partying and left me alone with the kids and all the duties and couldn't provide for me. at one point i said it was like being single so i decided i might as well be. so i divorced him and was happy. i deserved to be happy. i couldn't accept him for who he was.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:09 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I was married for thirty long unappreciated years. The disrespect was very high and became unbearable at his 50th birthday party. When he made a 10 minute speech about my breasts, a very funny speech, it was over for me. I made it through the party, tried over the next couple of month to get him to make things right and when he refused, I filed for divorce. It took two years to undo the 30, but it was worth it.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 8:02 PM on Feb. 7, 2011