It's extremely difficult to brush my son's teeth. He is almost 2 years old. Do you have any suggestions?

mselb

Asked by mselb at 11:01 PM on Nov. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• maybe let him do it? it won't be as good as if you did it, but start out letting him chew on the brush, get used to having it in his mouth, then gradually help him and show him the correct way of doing it. i would try that, and brush my teeth at the same time. make sure he has a yummy tasting toothpaste.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• What I used to do with my son was make lots of noise. I would tell him say AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and have him scream it while I brush away.....then when I did the front I'd hAve him scream CHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSEEEEEEEEE
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 11:11 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I just make up a song about brushing off all the sugar buggies and making her teeth nice and shiny.
    little.miss.mom

Answer by little.miss.mom at 11:24 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We tried everything from threats ("Your teeth will hurt and fall out) to musical toothbrushes to stories of "sugar monsters". The sugar monsters works well. Most importantly, it will get easier with time-promise!
    secondrose

Answer by secondrose at 11:41 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• We let him pick out a new tooth brush and tooth paste. We also let him brush our teeth while we brushed his. For the most part he loves to brush. Some nights he uses 3 different brushes but whatever it takes I suppose.lol
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 11:42 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• i combined all the above! i let DS (he was the toughest to brush) pick out the toothbrush and paste (made a BIG deal about that part, like he was making a life altering decision, and he felt good about doing it himself), and we made up crazy songs. weve even played music and told DS all the bugs in his teeth were dancing and we had to brush them away. he fell for that. usually with a 2 yr old, the crazier you make it, the better they respond...
    ivelostmyself

Answer by ivelostmyself at 11:58 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• I brush my son's teeth first to make sure that they get brushed good, then I hand over the tooth brush to him and he brushes them and I tell him that he is a "Big Boy" and that is how Big Boy's brush their teeth. After about 2 minutes I take the brush from him, and give him some water and he just smiles.
    Jen_Norvell

Answer by Jen_Norvell at 11:59 PM on Nov. 16, 2008

• my dentist told me to lay my special needs daughter down on her bed to brush her teeth. I find that works, now I do it with my 18 month old
    mommawombat

Answer by mommawombat at 12:08 AM on Nov. 17, 2008

• well my son is about to be two, and i give him the tooth brushed we went a picked out a brush which he picked veggie tales and it sings!! and when he sees that we brush our teeth then he wants to do it too.so yeah..
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 12:45 AM on Nov. 17, 2008