What are your opinions on spanking?

As a child I was spanked and that was probably the best thing that ever happened to me behavior-wise. I don't plan to spank my child and really its because that is highly frowned upon now, its not like the older days where that was okay. I just am curious of what everyones opinions on spanking are.

mitchellb

Asked by mitchellb at 4:10 PM on Feb. 7, 2011 in General Parenting

• I see nothing wrong with spanking. But it depends also on the situation. I wouldnt spank my dd for wetting the bed but I would if she ran out into the street. You need to know when its necessary. Spanking and abuse are totally different and I get so annoyed when ppl compare the two. I slap on the wrist or a spank on the behind is way diff then punching my kid in the face. People need to stop being so frigin sensitive and learn to mind their own business
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• it is necessary for some children, at some point. certainly not every discipline works with every child..and spanking may work at one age, where it doesn't at another age.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• Personally I don't spank unless they have hit first. However that's more for personal reasons (my parents spanked more then was legal at the time so I'm afraid I'll go off the deep end). I personally believe there's a HUGE difference between one open handed swat across the butt and smacking them repeatedly so much so that it leaves marks.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 4:20 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I was spanked when I needed it I feel it did make me a better person in a good way...So do whatever works IMO.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 4:22 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• It's unnecessary to spank.
    Anonymous

• I was never spanked as a child. I dont spank mine either. I grew up knowing there are alternatives to spanking (hitting as my mom used to say). Since I was never spanked its easy for me to use alternative methods for punishment because I experienced them myself. I personally never understood the concept.

Answer by gemgem at 4:13 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• I don't hit people when i'm mad at them, when they've made a bad decision, or when they are irritating me.

And, yes...i consider children people.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:14 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• A* slap on the wrist
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:15 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• i got my ass whooped as a child but my kids get a love touch on the butt but most of the time its just time outs
    suhweetness

Answer by suhweetness at 4:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011

• @steph319 beautfully said I appreciate the honest opinion
    mitchellb

Comment by mitchellb (original poster) at 4:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2011